[OT] Suspended ebay Account

I was trying to put an item up for sale and the screen asked me to upday my credit card info. This seemed reasonable since the card on file was expiring. After I entered my information, I received a screen saying my account had been suspended. Anyone ever have this happen? I worked my way through the unhelpful help screens but haven't heard anything from ebay yet...

Louis

Reply to
Louis Schroeder

Louis,

You're sure this was eBay and not a fake site?

I'd contact eBay immediately and find out what's going on. You might need to cancel your credit card if something fishy is going on.

Zooty

Reply to
zoot

I got an e-mail yesterday from "e-bay" and they said my accounts needed updating. When I clicked on the link they wanted my SSN, bank account info and my PIN along with some other stuff believe it or not. I think this was a scam as the host computer didn't say e-Bay in the domain name.

I have a feeling a scam went out big time yesterday and now e-Bay is feeling the repercussions. Can anyone back me up on this? Has anyone else gotten the kind of e-mail I got yesterday?

Jim

Reply to
MaSter bLasteR

But he said he was trying to put an item for sale, not update personal information. Good catch by the way, they send a very authentic looking email, don't they?

Joel. phx

Ebay and most others, no not send email asking for updates. They'll merely suspend something and the next time you visit the site ask for an update. I don't get spam here because I do not post my address to newsgroups nor have I used it to purchase something.

Reply to
Joel Corwith

Good point... and yes the scammers send a VERY convincing e-mail with the e-Bay logo on it and everything. Almost fooled me until they asked for my PIN...

Jim

Reply to
MaSter bLasteR

Yup, I got the same e-mail, and was tipped off that it was a hoax.

-Rich

MaSter bLasteR wrote:

Reply to
Rich Pitzeruse

That is spam. Your card info has been captured by theives. Cancel or put a fraud warning on the card and lean the lesson that whenever you give credit card online, it follows going to a site YOU initiate.

The emails use a simple trick of showing a seemingly valid URL to click on that actually routes you to their fake site card capture site. I have seen the same thing with paypal, C2it and others as well.

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

my card expired yesterday and they havnt sent an update notice to me fwiw, Le

Reply to
LeRoycom

There's been a similar scam with messages claiming to be from Earthlink - "we've lost your billing information; would you please re-enter it?"

-dave w

Reply to
David Weinshenker

Have recently received these for both Citibank and Ebay (even though my bit_eimer email isn't associated with either). I forwarded them in with as much header info as possible. Probably doesn't do any good though.

Too bad the email infrastructure was deployed without password validation for outgoing mail.

Reply to
bit eimer

Yes - it looked very fishy and I wrote ebay about it.

Reply to
M Dennett

I received a similar e-mail from PayPal. Smelling a rat, I forwarded it back to them. They sent me a thank you and reiterated that they would NEVER ask for such info via e-mail.

Mark Simpson NAR 71503 Level II GodBlessour peacekeepers

Reply to
Mark Simpson

This was a definite scam. E-bay will never ask for PIN numbers and SSNs. If you sent that info to that web address you've been had. I would suggest contacting your Credit Card company and closing the account. I saw the same scam myself and reported it to E-bay.

Reply to
Reece Talley

I would guess that you have just had your identity stolen. The scam pages ask for all of your personal information, including your banking info, pin numbers, mothers name, date of birth, social security number passwords, creditcard numbers, bank atm account numbers, and sometimes the banks cash transfer routing numbers. I would contact all of your accounts and make them aware of the problem. Also watch for any new charges on any of your accounts, including your bank accounts. Also get a copy of your credit report and make sure it is accurate. Then do it again for the next 90 days or so. Ebay or PayPal will never ask for your personal information via email. And NEVER ask for your passwords. In order to make sure you have not been, or will not be had, you have your work laid out for you. One way to check to see if any site is real, try entering false information or even none at all. Then click on the submit button. It will say you are approved or reinstated, or such. Don

Reply to
Don Smith

I never submitted any info. Just relaying what was on the request. Thanks for the heads-up though.

Jim

Reply to
MaSter bLasteR

It is going to be very interesting as SPAM and scams continue to clog our email accounts. I've received so much SPAM that hides behind an eBay mask, I've considered including eBay as one of my filtered words, Microsoft already is.

This raises two questions.

  1. Will the businesses that are hurt by filtered words get behind legislation against SPAM? I could see Microsoft, Amazon and eBay becoming motivated by lost revenue.

  1. Will certain words within the English language fall out of use because they are too often associated with SPAM?

Whenever legislation is drafted, I hope it will address any attempt to disquise words by mispelling or inserting html tags between individual letters. Or a broader concept of outlawing any attempt to misrepresent the actual content or the sender.

Reply to
SkyPirate

I think any attempt to disguise words or misrepresent the content or sender should be treated as fraud.

Reply to
RayDunakin

It followed the same paradigm as US postal mail. I could send you a very convincing postal mail asking for all the same information, and even put an address that says ebay on it for you to send the mail back to, room numbers and everything.

the email revolution has just made the crooks job easier, but also makes the look out alarms like this easier as well.

Art

Earthlink -

Reply to
Art Upton