Is it ok to put an outlet above the suspended ceiling

Hello Here is my situation. I am placing a ceiling mount pole for a lcd monitor in my dental office. I have suspended ceilings. I need to get power to my monitor of course and I was planning on putting a standard outlet above the suspended ceiling and routing my power cable in the ceiling pole mount. Then plugging into the outlet. Is it within code to put an outlet in this area? Thanks in advance!

Reply to
cdoc

Although Article 406 that covers receptacles does not have any specific rules for not mounting receptacles above suspended ceilings Article 400 does have a rule on flexible cords that does not permit a flexible cord above a suspended ceiling.

400.8 Uses not permitted for flexible cords (5) Where concealed by walls, floors, or ceilings or located above suspended or dropped ceilings.

The UL standard for flexible cords requires that a flexible cord be capable of flexing 15,000 times. However, the other requirements are less stringent than those for building wire and cables such as Romex or NM cable.

Reply to
electrician

Stick it where evey you like.

Ryce Edup.

Reply to
Ryze Edup

ceiling board with the

the power. Use the same

ceiling board is

Reply to
cdoc

Here in Florida, it's not uncommon to mount a duplex outlet directly into the ceiling board with the outlet being fed through armored cable (BX) coming from wherever you can get the power. Use the same tricks you use when installing a wall outlet in old work. Be careful. That ceiling board is delicate.

That way, you end up with a ceiling-mounted duplex outlet near your monitor.

Pixmaker in FLL =========================== It's not the heat, it's the humidity! =========================== (Think the humidity's bad? You should watch us vote!) ===========================

Reply to
Pixmaker

Probably not. The area above a suspended ceiling is often used for HVAC air return and is considered to be similar to an air plenum (duct). There are limitations on the materials and wiring methods allowed in such areas. While it is possible to install wiring up to a device in such a location, appliance cord itself is not approved for use in such an area. Because of this, plug-in outlets are not permitted.

Install the outlet so that it is outside the raised ceiling area. Make sure the wiring methods up to this point comply with NEC 300.22(C)(1) & (2).

Reply to
Paul Hovnanian P.E.

What you need is a standard power pole made for mounting from a suspended ceiling to the floor equiped with receptacles. They also come with partitions so you can also run your data cable in them. You hard wire to the top of the power pole above the suspended ceiling using standard building wiring methods such as MC cable. This is a common method for wiring offices with suspended ceilings.

Reply to
electrician