OT: Think you're tough? Get a load of this

This gal makes "The Terminator" look like sissy!

--------------------- Mexican Woman Performs Own Caesarean to Save Baby

LONDON (April 6) - A pregnant woman in Mexico gave birth to a healthy baby boy after performing a caesarean section on herself with a kitchen knife, doctors said on Tuesday.

It is thought to be the first known case of a self-inflicted caesarean in which both the mother and baby survived.

The unidentified 40-year-old, who lived in a rural area without electricity, running water or sanitation that was an eight-hour drive from the nearest hospital, performed the operation when she could not deliver the baby naturally.

She had lost a previous baby due to labor complications.

"She took three small glasses of hard liquor and, using a kitchen knife, sliced her abdomen in three attempts...and delivered a male infant that breathed immediately and cried," said Dr R.F. Valle, of the Dr Manuel Velasco Suarez Hospital in San Pablo, Mexico. Valle recounted the event in a report in the International Journal of Gynecology and Obstetrics. More on This Story Before losing consciousness the woman told one of her children to call a local nurse for help. After the nurse stitched the wound with a sewing needle and cotton thread, the mother and baby were transferred and treated by Valle and his colleagues at the nearest hospital.

"This case represents an unusual and extraordinary decision by a women in labor who, unable to deliver herself spontaneously, and with no medical help or resources, decided to perform a caesarean section upon herself," Valle said. He added that a mother's instinct to save her child can move a woman to perform extraordinary acts but said it would not have been necessary if adequate medical care had been available.

Reply to
RayDunakin

"Hard liquor?" Think about this article before the next time you drink tequila!!!!!! The stuff is NASTY.

I much prefer the old story about the Russian babushka who beat a hungry, vicious timber wolf to death with a frying pan in her remote forest cabin. And then cooked it and ate it.

+McG+

Reply to
Kenneth C. McGoffin

Yeah, and don't *ever* use the Haynes manual if you're doing your own frontal lobotomy... Chilton's was *way* better!

Tod "Fuh... Fuh... Fuh... Fuharee at last!" Hilty

Reply to
hiltyt

What, Clymer didn't have one for that model?

-dave w

Reply to
David Weinshenker

I'd rather have a bottle in front 'o me, than a frontal Lobotomy.

But what first came to mind when I read that story was the old Samari suicide practice.

Reply to
Alan Jones

She's the only person I ever heard of to commit hara-kiri and live to tell about it.

Reply to
Larry Smith

Yeah, I hear dat. I couldn't finish my v'ectomy OR my Popular Science lobectomy 'cause I had a KILLER hangnail that day. Spent a week in the hospice 'causa that bad boy...

Reply to
Gene