Packing tape decals question

I picked up the tip about using clear packing tape to make decals from lazer color prints and passed the info on to the antique radio restorers.

A question quickly arose. Will the tape turn yellow and/or degrade over time? Can anyone here give us an answer?

I did a test the following way;

1 - Pressed the tape on the image, soaked it in water and rubbed the paper off, leaving the ink trapped on the tape

2 - Brushed the ink side of the tape with a very thin coat of cheap acrylic white paint to provide opacity to the image.

3 -Glued the painted side down on acrylic painted wood using Minwax's Polycrylic, an acrylic emulsion used as a finish on some woodwork, that makes a pretty good glue.

4 - Cleaned the tape and gave it two coats of spray can Deft lacquer. I think it loks terrific! Glued down as it is, and under coats of lacquer, I feel confident it could last for years, but info from someone with past experience with this would be helpful to all of us.

I am posting this on two other model groups.

Stewart

Reply to
genus