Follow up question regarding canopy frames using scotch(?) tape

When i asked about masking a while back, someone suggested using scotch tape or something similar. The idea being to paint it and then cut to size.
I have a small airplane I might try it on. But my question is where frames from a + do you overlap or trim to fit? Either way I "think" you either have a bump or lines. Or dies it lay down well enough?
Any body like to comment?
Frank
Gray Ghost wrote:

For what it's worth, I use Tamiya Masking Tape. I stick it on a piece of glass and cut it with an X-Acto knife and steel ruler. Yes, there's a slight "bump" but it's acceptable to me and certainly not as noticeable as what you get with Scotch Tape or Cellotape. It can be painted, but depending on the paint, you may get a little cracking; varnish or Future (Klear?) helps with this. Anyway, it's a big improvement on a freehand brush!
Regards
Syke
grey snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (Gray Ghost) wrote:

rufus is the man for frames. his big catalina glass looks like it was made from tiny real glass and the neatest carpentry possible.
snipped-for-privacy@some.domain wrote:

Thanks, man...
I use Scotch tape to mask for painting, though. The trick is how you handle the corners - cut a long run at a slant, so that the point fills the corner along that run to the end. Then do the same at 90 degrees. Fill any remaining gap with another triangular piece of tape.
That's basically it - use triangle and trapezoidal hunks of tape and not squared off ones. And remove the tape once the paint mostly - not completely - dry.
--
- Rufus

that one goes in the painting archive fer sher. your very welcome for teaching me stuff. your big cat impresses the hell out of me. not laming out and making it a flat black bombcat is the guilding on the beautiful beast. your decal work is also impressive. we all seem to have the diamond parts of our builds. bill b does swesome car body paint. don't tell him i envy his work......shhhh. from what i've seen of mr amp's builds, (far too little posted where we can see.) he has the details and does the fiddly bits up right. i'm a real pro at messing up a whole section. no one can botch an entire wing as well as me. our good guy Gernot Hassenpflug is a pro with small ship kits. his 1/700 builds are sweet. he is also the great guy for help getting kits from japan to our hot little hands. it's early and not pc, so merry christmas and happiness to all. this group has boiled down to a small core of people who are decent to each other. yea us! -s
On 12/4/2010 12:49 AM, snipped-for-privacy@some.domain wrote:

Well just where are pic's of this big Cat ?? If for nothing else I want to show my Pa, as he used to work on an American Airways PBY 4 (w/clipper bow) VS 44A's (all three of them) and PBM's way back when. Flying boats are his first love. He put in 45 1/2 years at American...
Also, *someone* stay tuned I'm finally getting a package off to ya this coming week. (nice little box of goodies) Broke several toes, and I think a bone on my foot a several weeks ago and am just getting mobile again. But it's kept me doing a whole lot of nothing for several weeks now. Damn Bday was Thanksgiving and all I could do is barely hobble around.
Good news is I've been finally doing some model work (whoo hoo)
Building a 1/48 DCA ANG F 16, (which will go on display at their headquarters along with another one I built for them) and a 1/48 Mitsubishi F2B at the same time.
--
AM

http://sctuser.home.comcast.net

http://www.novac.com
AM wrote:

Five snaps of my PBY-5 posted on ABMS, just now...I think I'd posted them before some time ago - or at least one...IPMS OC also snagged one of my posts and snaps for a "how to" on using Solvaset...which can be found here:
http://www.ipmsoc.org/articles/tips/Using%20Solvaset.htm
I forget how long ago I built this PBY...probably over a decade now, but it's still on display on a shelf in my living room. Starbord beaching gear needs some repair - if anyone is building this kit, I highly suggest replacing the axles in the beaching gear with a chunk of brass rod...
--
- Rufus

very nice and i will certainly stay around. broken toes suck in a major league annoying way. the joint build sounds good, and ambitious.
snipped-for-privacy@some.domain wrote:

Yer welcome...one of the more interesting things regarding that is that there was a guy I met that had built a *really* nice black one - painted it blue first, then over-sprayed it with black and scrubbed through through to weather it. Even painted the national markings - simply a work of art, impressed me so much that I went and did mine...I had originally wanted to do a -5A and was waiting for that kit.
So I finished mine and took it to a meeting...the guy was so impressed with mine that he went and repainted his...which to this day I'm not really sure how I fell about..!

Yeah - everybody has a specialty. That's cool.

A very merry Christmas to one and all...I think I still owe myself a shopping spree...
--
- Rufus

i could use some rlm colors......,
On 12/4/2010 12:49 AM, snipped-for-privacy@some.domain wrote:> <pre wrap=""> bill b does swesome car

You must have me confused with someone else. I've seen paint jobs that make me feel like a ham-handed plastic hacker.
Bill Banaszak, MFE, Sr.

do you see same as such? where?
On 12/6/2010 6:38 PM, snipped-for-privacy@some.domain wrote:> <pre wrap>
snipped-for-privacy@verizon.net wrote:

wrap=""&gt; bill b

The other weekend at the toy show. The CPMCC was there with their cars on display and some of those paint jobs look like deep pools spread across the model. Smoother than a baby's butt.
Bill Banaszak, MFE Sr.
snipped-for-privacy@verizon.net wrote:

we all stuggle angainst prefection. compared to mine, i am the porcine limbed plastic warper. it's all relative. you good. me suck. most children have uneven, oddly textured skin.
snipped-for-privacy@some.domain ( snipped-for-privacy@some.domain) wrote in

And a fine job you are doing. 8)
grey snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (Gray Ghost) wrote:

baliff! whack his pee pee.
(Gray Ghost) wrote:

Thanks. I was gonna ask....
Bill Roccia

I posted pic over in alt.binaries.models.scale of a B-25 I built years ago that I used scotch tape for the frame. I trimmed the tape and got lines. I thought it would be less distracting than humps. It's not the greatest example, But you can look for yourself.
Bill Roccia

Doesn't look bad. Might try that.

Thanks. For what it's worth, I believe the tape is two or three layers thick. Probably two.
Bill R