Used a new masking tape.

Found it at Lowes. I used it on a model and found it to be superior to the general beige masking tape and the blue painter's tape.It left a sharp edge and there was no bleeding underneath. FrogTape by Shurtape. The size I bought was .91" wide by 60.1 yds long (

24mm x 55meters). It comes in a round green plastic (airtight?) container that can be used to store the tape after each use.
usual disclaimers apply - No interest in sales, etc.
Reply to
willshak

use.http://www.shurtape.com/ProductHomepage/tabid/79/ProductID/196/Defaul...> The usual disclaimers apply - No interest in sales, etc.

I tried this stuff last year and the paint still bleed under it. Maybe I didn't burnish it well enough. I suppose that after reading the info on the box I expected a miracle...

Peteski

Reply to
Peter W.

Did you try hitting the seam with a coat of the color being covered first? I've come to find that doing this helps to seal the edge and prevent the next color from creeping underneath the tape. The last time I overbrunished the tape, it lifted some of the original color....

Reply to
The Old Man

use.http://www.shurtape.com/ProductHomepage/tabid/79/ProductID/196/Defaul...>> > The usual disclaimers apply - No interest in sales, etc.

I use common or garden sellotape (scotch tape) and have never had a problem. The one time I tried Tamiya tape the paint ran under and I had a hell of a mess to clean up. Can't see the point in spending model money on expensive masking tape when it is not necessary.

Tony NZ

Reply to
Stadia

use.http://www.shurtape.com/ProductHomepage/tabid/79/ProductID/196/Defaul...>>> > The usual disclaimers apply - No interest in sales, etc.

I have used Scotch 3m Auto masking tape with great success it comes in a number of sizes i use the 1/16 a lot for my cyrved places then fill in with the cheap stuff

Reply to
nockers

use.http://www.shurtape.com/ProductHomepage/tabid/79/ProductID/196/Defaul...> > > The usual disclaimers apply - No interest in sales, etc.

Nope, because this tape was supposed to have this wonderful bleed-free adhesive which creates a perfect seal. So much for me trusting advertising!

Peteski

Reply to
Peter W.

Another good tip of which I can't remember the origin ... once the tape is down, hit the seam with some dullcote or future. The clear bleeds under and seals.

Reply to
John McGrail