Teflon thread tape as masking tape?

Hi,

Has anyone here ever used teflon thread tape as an alternative to hobby masking tape? Y'know, it's the white non-sticky tape that we use on our pipe and coupler threads to prevent air leak while airbrushing. I was wondering if it is safe if I applied it on an acrylic paint coat.

I noticed how nicely the tape forms along the pipe threading and I'm thinking that it would work wonders on those tight curved areas.

Thanks!

Reply to
E-man

Sounds good, but how would you get it to stick?

The Old Timer

I was planning on using it on small parts that need detailing and not on large flat parts like wings and carrier decks. The tape has enough 'stick' and would wrap around no problem.

I'm just wondering if it's safe on acrylics.

snipped-for-privacy@aol.comspamless (The Old Timer) wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@mb-m11.aol.com:

Reply to
E-man

perfectly safe.

Reply to
Serge D. Grun

"E-man" wrote

Why not use saran wrap - lots cheaper. Or Silly Putty.

Teflon is the most inert organic compound out there, if not the most inert compound of any type. The reason nothing sticks to it is because there is nothing chemically to stick to.

Reply to
Kurt Laughlin

"Kurt Laughlin" wrote in news:EoYKc.1297$ snipped-for-privacy@nwrddc04.gnilink.net:

Simple reason: I have a roll of the stuff that I used on my air supply pipes in my drawer and I never worked well with saran wrap even with food. :)

Cool. Thanks for the info. It helps alot. I was never a good student of the chemical sciences.

And thanks to everyone that replied. I much appreciate it. Now I'm off to the spray booth.

Reply to
E-man

Okay, I just finished experimenting using teflon tape to mask some old action figure I had laying around. Once the paint had time to dry it was a huge pain to remove the paint-covered teflon cleanly and easily. The paint job did work but I don't think I'll use the teflon again. Just a bit too messy and I don't have the patience to clean strands of teflon.

Reply to
E-man

Chin up. That's how these cool techniques we use get discovered. While you may not have discovered a new masking trick, you have reminded me that thread tape has some favorable properties that may still be of use elsewhere.

WmB

WmB

What if you remove the tape while the paint is still wet?

Peter

Reply to
Bushy

Ron wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@rcn.com:

If you can wrap it around a small part, it will manage to hold.

Reply to
E-man

Y'know. I just might have to try that.

"Bushy" wrote in news:cdj50d$d5k$ snipped-for-privacy@bunyip.cc.uq.edu.au:

Reply to
E-man

hi But remember tha will not stick to Teflon ... it could be a porblem ... dry paint all over the model :(

Reply to
Julian Herrero 'yuri'

Forget Teflon ! Use Parafilm !

Have been doing that for the last 10 years (since I first saw it mentioned). IIRC, it was in FineScale Modeler magazine. Come to think of it, it might been way over 10 years ago. But since that time, Parafilm has been mentioned in many articles. And even Testors sold it in small quantities. Micro-Mark sells it currently. I still have my original big roll which I bought from some Lab Supply house.

This stuff is awesome !

Peteski

Reply to
Peter W.

Reply to
Don Stauffer

I I saw that and wanted to do a comparison but with Bare metal and Parafilm I decided I didn't need more stock. I was hoping to find a housewife from whom I could mooch a spot.

It's not electrostatic, you need to stretch it first, it then becomes sticky and will stick lightly to whatever you apply it against. Did yours come with instructions? hth

The Keeper (of too much crap)

Reply to
Keeper