Paper on Balsa Fins

Reply to
Zman

Plain old notebook/typing/computer paper works fine for me. Or use graph paper...as it looks really cool in the pre-painting stage...lol. I imagine that the rougher "recycled" type of paper might not be as strong as the "pure and white" stuff. And I imagine that the glue you use would have a bigger impact than the type of paper. I prefer the yellow Elmer's carpenter's glue over the white Elmer's Glue All type. Dilute it with a bit of water. Give a healthy coating to both the balsa, as well as the paper; then slap it together. Squish it between the glass (don't forget the wax paper). When dry, you can add another coat of glue to the exposed paper.

Reply to
Greg Heilers

Will do. Thanks Greg.

Reply to
Zman

plain old notebook/typing/computer paper works fine for me.

I've got to get some of those medicine cups, the ones that come on the top of NyQuil etc....mixing cups....even better...small paper ones that greasy spoons put mayo and tarter sauce in.

lol good excuse not to cook breakfast tomorrow / this a.m. go to the local greasy spoon and beg some paper cups lololol !

Reply to
Zman

even better, save the little plastic gizmos they have for jelly & jam....Oh Gawwwd that's baaaad!!! bring 'em home and wash 'em out to use with hobby crafts! Goin' straight to hell for that one!

Reply to
Zman

Model rocketry Under 3.3 pounds liftoff Under 125g propellant These days under 62.5g per motor (bad) CERTIFIED motors

High Power rocketry no weight limit N motor power limit (20,480 N-s) CERTIFIED motors

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

Using glass does not have to be that hard or that messy.

I use 3/4 oz/sq.ft. glass. It is like curtain sheer. I used it on all the fins of my Commanche-3 to prevent rip-off at staging (previous experience). I tacked it on with water based urethane, then followed with another coat or two. By the time the last coat of paint went on, you could not see the weave, and had to look for the edge to find it.

Cut it at a 45 degree angle to the weave. That way all the fibers cross the joint and the edges do not unravel. Just be careful with its shape, as you can deform it pretty easily in this configuration.

I use a rolling cutter on a cutting board to cut fiberglass. Scissors and knives will sometimes snag, and the light stuff deforms pretty easily.

Reply to
Thomas Koszuta

Parchment Paper

I have scads of Parchment Paper used for lining baking sheetpans here. I like to cook / bake. Was looking at it today...feeling it between my fingers, seems like it has a waxy feeling, like waxed paper. Might be why it doesn't burn? Hmmm Wadding?

Probably not a good thing 'eh?

ericz

Reply to
Zman

Don't know how well it would work, but even if it did, that's darned expensive wadding when compared to cellulose insulation!

-Kevin

Reply to
Kevin Trojanowski

Not if you've got scads of it hanging around! But I agree, dog barf or other options are trired and true...I'll wait till I have a 'disposable' unit...hey...wait a minute...I do! My Estes Patriot!

:)

Reply to
Zman