Perfect use for old FSI F7-4 motors?

Hello, I posted earlier about flying a rocket with some old FSI F7 motors I had laying about...well, I think I have a solution and am
wondering what the group thinks of this idea! My brother in law asked me if I could do a rocket demonstation for his Tiger Cub troop. I was happy to do it, but knew that would be flying from a small field (a couple of soccer fields) and wondered what I could fly that would still be fun. Along with the Ninja on a C11 and the Chrome Dome on a B4 or B6, I'm planning on building and flying one of Art Applewhite's flying saucers (either the paper or the one using Hefty Plates). I think the one's made for 24mm E engines could be readily adapted to fly with FSI F7 motors (these are 27mm). What do you guys think of the idea? I think the long burn times of the motor should give an impressive flight and if it CATO's there is nothing lost! Any idea how high these might fly on such a motor? Craig caheatoATnetzero.net
snipped-for-privacy@netzero.net writes:

Does your field require insurance? These motors are no longer certified. That makes them illegal to fly in most states, and voids your insurance coverage. Probably not wise for a scout demo launch.
I've tried flying such things on F7s back when they were still legal. The sustainer thrust is so low, they have a tendency to fall out of the sky while still under thrust. Not good at all.

I remember back at a elementry school open house we did a model rocket demo in the school yard. We did all sorts of A, B. C and D motors and for our grand finally we flew FSI F7 in an estes Goblem, which normally works great, but not this time. In front of 100s of parents and childern it took off and at about 100 ft. it started arcing over and under full thrust plowed into the roof of a house about 1/4 mile away, they all loved it and cheered and clapped with yellings of oncore.
Dave
On 8 Sep 2006 12:48:46 -0500, kaplow snipped-for-privacy@encompasserve.org.mars (Bob Kaplow) wrote:

Didn't you sometimes get two or three lift-offs on one F7?
bob:
I find it both sad and funny all at the same time that you are reading the riot act to this guy about firing off illegal F7-4's. While I agree this is probably not the ideal place and time to fire off OOP decertfied model rocket motors, can you explain to us, if firing off decertfied OOP model rocket motors is probably illegal for this specific person, how can the NAR sanction such activities by its own membership?
http://www.rocketryforum.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid (809
It's time to fly some old motors (but see below) NAR Safety Committee Request for Proposals: Expired Motor Flight Testing
Background
The NAR Board of Trustees in its July 2006 meeting authorized a Safety Code Commensurate Compliance Program whereby the Board or its designees may review and approve proposals for commensurate methods of compliance with the Safety Code(s) of the Association for activities that may otherwise be perceived to technically violate some portion(s) of the Safety Code, provided:
. The activities are conducted in accordance with applicable laws......
Notice how the NAR uses the "term" Expired versus using the correct term:Decertfied? Is this another example of NAR "doublespeak'? I've never seen anybody use the term "expired" to denote decertified. And I don't think the NFPA codes use that term either.
Notice "perceived technical violations" ... perceived by whom?
Also Notice they say you can only do these activities IF they are conducted in accordance with applicable laws?
I would submit that theres no way ANY person can legally fire OOP decertfied/expired model rocket motors in any state or locality in which the NFPA fire codes are in place.
I guess the NAR doesn't consider fire code violations, violating any "applicable laws".
I might add that I am all for NAR members or for that matter anybody, to use OOP decertfied/expired model rocket motors unless they were decertfied for safety reasons.
terry dean
nar 16158
--
"Old Rocketeer's don't die; they just go OOP"

"Bob Kaplow" <kaplow snipped-for-privacy@encompasserve.org.mars> wrote in message
Good thing I fly under the SIAR flag, we don't mind seeing those engines flown at all.

Telescope Buyers FAQ
Starlord wrote:

So the SIAR doesn't have any problems with violating the law? What does your flight insurance company think about that?
--
Visit Rocketry Planet - http://www.rocketryplanet.com

flight insurance company ? Don't have any, never did, but the SIAR was founded in 1970 and is still alive today, while not a big group we do have members from other countys, not all our members are in the USA, the last one to join lives near the Nile River.

Telescope Buyers FAQ
We are a Model Rocketry group and membership is free, there are no dues. We don't get into high power rocketry.

Telescope Buyers FAQ
Is it time to break out the old USR motors? I still have a 29mm Buttkicker reload around somewhere. Also, it has some nice voids in it to increase the kickin.
Phil
On Sat, 9 Sep 2006 09:00:50 -0400, "shockwaveriderz"

Philip Stein wrote:

Speaking of USR...... Naaa, let's not go there.....(:-)
Fred
On Sat, 09 Sep 2006 12:07:07 -0400, "W. E. Fred Wallace"

Anyone know where to get thrust curves for their motors? Sent Jerry an email but he didn't respond. Not surprisingly, they do not show up on the NAR or TRA web sites.
Phil
Philip Stein wrote:

Good luck!
Some curves do exist from early TMT thrust stand tests and were published in the Tripolitan.
Which motors are You interested in?
On Sun, 10 Sep 2006 01:17:28 GMT, Dave Grayvis

Please contact me via email & I'll tell you.
On Sat, 09 Sep 2006 19:10:22 -0400, Philip Stein

There used to be some pretty half-arsed thrust curves (looked predicted rather than measured) on the USR web site. I made them into .eng files and put them online here: http://www.nsrg.org.uk/data/usr.eng I take no responsibility for their use!
Darren J Longhorn wrote:

The last booklet of thrust curves published by TMT (back in 6/96) includes some USR motors.
--
Steve Humphrey
(replace "spambait" with "merlinus" to respond directly to me)

How might one obtain a copy of that?
Darren J Longhorn wrote:

Heh, join Tripoli in 1996. :-) Or find someone local who did.
If I didn't have a buttload of work to do before my trip to Baikonur on Saturday--and if my scanner was working--I'd scan the relevant pages and post them. I'll make a note to do so after I get back in October.
Meanwhile, just so you know which USR motors are listed: G40(G33), G45fs(G32), H55(H41), H90nzls(H57), H160(H190) Parentheses bracket the TMT designation.
--
Steve Humphrey
(replace "spambait" with "merlinus" to respond directly to me)
Darren J Longhorn wrote:

Forget those. They are a product of ji's imagination.
Philip Stein wrote:

I used to call those "power voids"