Perfect use for old FSI F7-4 motors?

Yesterday I launched an old alpha 1 with a 1970's widowmaker C engine, But my lauching is done usder the SIAR banner which doesn't outlaw oop engines
from flying.
It was one heck of a flight too.

Telescope Buyers FAQ
βœ–

Where did you get one of those with a CSFM seal on it?
βœ–
I'm way out here in the desert and they don;t care what is launched, why at a launch at the Mojave space port last year they let a guy fly a all metal mid enegined (Estes E engine) fly at the special day launch they had for local kids and that rocket was all metal soda cans, body tube, fins, the whole thing metal, so me flying an estes alpha with a old chevc windowmaker C engine which for it's age still worked as it should was no big deal. And that's why I've managed to get the local service people to includ a aero park in their plans, it'll be set up for rmodel rockets, rc plans, control lines planes. It might be another 5 years before it's built but it's in the works and I have submitted a plan for it too.
They allow aero fireworks in Kern county.

Telescope Buyers FAQ
βœ–
Bob Kaplow wrote:

Bob, he launches under the SIAR banner. They don't need no stinking seal...
--
Rocketry Planet — hobby rocketry news, feature articles, news archive,
discussion forums, live chat, free auctions, launch calendar and the
shockwaveriderz wrote:

In the title, which is the part of the document where you in a few words try to summarize the intent of a (much) longer document so that people who are interested can read it.
The term "decertified" is correctly used elsewhere in the document.
Did you read it?

That's because NFPA doesn't require motors to be decertified because of age. That's something that NAR does. Members of NAR have asked that we figure out if that's necessary in this day in age. We now have a controlled R&D program to do just that.

Um, people like you, apparenlty.

You can submit it all you want. You won't be correct. They can not only fire them, they can fly them, IF they've complied with conditions outlined in that long document you apparently didn't read.
Because, if tney comply with those requirements, they'll be flying certified motors.

OK, so you're all for it, you just think it's illegal? Or, you're all for it, you just don't like the NAR making it legal? Or what, exactly?
--tc
Add pictures here
βœ–
ted, comments inline..
terry dean nar 16158
--
"Old Rocketeer's don't die; they just go OOP"

< snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.net> wrote in message
βœ–
shockwaveriderz wrote: > [more of the same]
Terry, what part of this don't you understand:
From Ted:
You can submit it all you want. You won't be correct. They can not only fire them, they can fly them, IF they've complied with conditions outlined in that long document you apparently didn't read.
Because, IF THEY COMPLY WITH THOSE REQUIREMENTS, THEY'LL BE FLYING CERTIFIED MOTORS.
(emphasis mine)
--
Steve Humphrey
(replace "spambait" with "merlinus" to respond directly to me)
"Old Rocketeer's don't die; they just go OOP"

"Steve Humphrey" < snipped-for-privacy@optonline.com> wrote in message
βœ–
shockwaveriderz wrote:

It would seem so.
--
Steve Humphrey
(replace "spambait" with "merlinus" to respond directly to me)
βœ–
There is no need to impress small children with a large or loud rocket. They will be thrilled with any small or medium model rocket that launches and recovers safely.
Many adults make the mistake of thinking they need to "impress" kids or put on a show. This often leads to unsafe attempts at "spectacular" and even injury to the children.
Now to the immediate question: An F7 is uncertified, so if you live in a state that requires certified motors or require insurance this is a No No. Next, a flying saucer is extremely prone to weathercocking and with a pitifully low thrust motor like the FSI F7, it will arc over and hit the ground (or a child's face) while still thrusting. Then several seconds later the ejection charge will go off. if it landed on grass, that starts a fire. if it hit a child in the face, then the rest of the kids who walk over to see what happened or the adult who runs over to help the injured child will then get hit by the flaming ejection charge.
Saucers need the correct thrust motor to fly safely and they prefer plugged motors or a very short delay to eject at a safe altitude.
-Fred Shecter
http://www.sirius.com /
βœ–
My thanks to the group for the advice....I guess I'll have to rethink the saucer idea, guess I got caught up in the coolness of the idea. I'll stick with the tried and true...Chrome Dome, Blue Ninja, etc. I still might build a saucer, but I'll stick with the one that flies on a plugged A10 mini motor. (My original idea before I was struck with the thought of trying for altitude at the same time.)
I'm still intrigued by the idea of flying a saucer with an F7, but I'll leave that for my own personal testing and fun and fly it at my normal (and isolated) launch area. Thanks much for the advice. (Special note to Mr. Kaplow...I followed your advice from one of my previous postings and am building my Onyx with yellow glue...haven't flow it yet but I'll let the group know how it turns out. The rocket is now in the final finishing stages and should be ready to fly within a week. Should look kind of neat...it's painted dark orange with a reflective gold nose cone and fins to assist in tracking the rocket during descent.) Craig
Add pictures here
βœ–
The "serve and store" saucers are quite happy on plugged Estes D and E motors...
snipped-for-privacy@netzero.net wrote:

--
Will Marchant, NAR 13356, Tripoli 10125 L3
βœ–
snipped-for-privacy@netzero.net wrote:

Add pictures here
βœ–
A member of our club tried to fly an Applewhite saucer on an old Aerotech F14 the other day. After the thurst spike, the rocket fell to the ground, still thrusting. I would think an F7 which is half the thrust and half the total impulse, and which can barely lift itself, would have a much worse time with a high drag saucer.
I say don't waste the motor on that. Find a small, minimum diameter rocket for it and let it do its thing.
Roy nar12605

Add pictures here
βœ–
Cluster those F7's!
Ted Novak TRA#5512 IEAS#75
Roy Green wrote:

Add pictures here
βœ–
<Cluster those F7's!
goto http://hometown.aol.com/MONTMACH/70s-lucerne.html
There are 3 photos of a cluster of 4 F7s I made in the 70's, it worked great the first time it flew with 3 FSI F7s and a center Enerjet F-67. But when I flew it with 4 F7s it went unstable.
Dave
Add pictures here
βœ–
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

I'm with Dave...
Wrapping up a LOC Viper IV project (pretty healthy stability margin) with some additional side pods mounts to burn up accumulated odds & ends... Will later finish the debate how to be done with all the 10.5 mm bp motors I've got.
Dave - Great pics! The shot of getting stuck at Lucerne reminded me of burying the rental car up to it's axle at Hemet. Even after trips to the car wash, the car never quite drove the same again!!! Andy Woerner pulled us out of the mess that afternoon. Great guy!
Andy
Add pictures here
βœ–
Doing a demo with ancient and likely highly unreliable motors that in their best form require skill and luck to fly reliably, is NOT a very smart idea. Think about it.
Ask Don Carter about what can happen when one of these catos. How far away do you plan to locate these Cubs? Just what they need, 40-50 gram chunks of flaming BP flying around the place.
Burn them off somewhere safe and remote, and away from other people's kids is my advice.

Add pictures here
βœ–