[Planet News] Giant Leap Rocketry announces the release of new kit: The ELIPSE

Press Release by Giant Leap Rocketry Tuesday, December 05, 2006

BATON ROUGE, Louisianna USA ? Giant Leap Rocketry, Inc. is pleased to release their new kit, the ELIPSE. The rocket is 3? in diameter, 78? long, and comes with a 38mm motormount. Externally, the most obvious feature of the ELIPSE is the curved, elliptical fins and rounded tailcone.

Giant Leap has released the new ELIPSE, featuring the new Goove-Lok fin attachment, Hardpoint Anchor and rounded Ogive Tailcone. According to Ed of Giant Leap Rocketry, ?this design was inspired by the lines of the famous Jaguar XKE. I wanted to create a kit with curves that depart from the same old straight lines found in other rockets.? But according to Ed, the main features of this kit are the new technologies it carries:

  1. the new GROOVE-LOK fin attaching system, 2. the new HARDPOINT ANCHOR for shockcord attachment, 3. the new rounded OGIVE TAILCONE 3? to 75mm.

It also has other features like KEVLAR shockloops, the KEVLAR FIREBALL, an Avionics Bay and so forth. It is available at an introductory price of $149.95.

To learn more, please see:

Planet News

dixontj93060

"Pretty rocket, fly-ing in the air. Pretty rocket, oh, do I dare? Pretty rocket, You know I need you! Oh yes I do! Is Giant Leap mailing one to you? Mercy! Ohhhh, oh, pretty rocket!"

Reply to
Darrell D. Mobley

They make pretty rockets but my Talon 2 instructions leave something to be desired. If their other models are the same, I would wait until one has a fair amount of constuction under their belt first before tackling. Even some crude diagrams would help with some of the written directions.

Also they should list the aftermarket options that would work well with their products for motor retention.

Again, nice looking models with quality materials. Some diagramming of some of the steps would be helpful. The same holds true for Cosmodrome Rocketry. Great looking models but difficult to picture assemblage.

Reply to
Kurt

Darrell,

When you took the PR from them, did you mention to them that there are two L's in ellipse?

I'm just curious if they have a comment about it. Obviously, in this day and age, many products come with new words to avoid copyright issues. Pentium is the first to mind. So I can see GL munging ellipse into Elipse to have a registerable name, but I also see them drawing lots of puzzled looks from picky spellers like me, too :)

Doug

Reply to
Doug Sams

Being separated at birth from Doug , yes, I questioned the spelling. There was a very scientific reason for the spelling with one 'l' -- they didn't like the way the decal looked with two l's. ;-)

Reply to
Darrell D. Mobley

Speaking of being picky ... it's "trademark issues" not "copyright issues." :-)

-- Roger

Reply to
Roger Smith

Doug, I doubled checked tonight, and the official company line is:

"We cut off one "L" in the spelling to make it lighter, so it will fly higher."

;-)

Reply to
Darrell D. Mobley

I watched Ed with Giant Leap fly the fiberglass version of the new Elipse rocket at our Winnsboro, LA field on Saturday and just wanted to say it is a good looking and well built rocket that flew great on a small "H" motor. In my opinion Giant Leap has another winner.

The tailcone on the rocket is a retainer based on the slimline design. After market retainers aren't needed and actually wouldn't work unless the design is changed. One of the best things about Giant Leap rockets is you get everything needed to do the assembly. No running to the hardware store to buy something that isn't included or having to supply your own parachute and the kit even includes Kevlar chute protectors. The kit is already set up for dual deployment so you don't have to order extra airframe tubing or bulkheads to modify it for high altitude flights.

One of the items I was most impressed with is the new groove lok fin canister. It's made of extruded aluminum and helps the rocketeer to put the fins on perfectly straight and completely aligned with a minimum of hassle.

I looked through the kit instructions listed on the website and they seem to be thorough and well thought out. I've built and flown the GLR Thunderbolt

38 and Firestorm 54 and didn't have a problem with either set of instructions. Actually both rockets were so simple to assemble that I built them in one night.

Have a Great Day!!!

Andrew Grippo TRA-LA

Reply to
Andrew Grippo

Ain't this the truth! EVERYTHING you need other than a motor, an igniter, a launcher and electronics if you decide to use them, is included in the kit. Tubular nylon, tubular Kevlar, Kevlar chute protectors, parachutes, everything is top quality.

Reply to
Darrell D. Mobley

It comes with epoxy too!?!?! :)

smile, it was supposed to be funny.