Problem for AP Motor Manufacturers

According to a news item: "A sole-source supplier of a critical binder polymer (hydroxyl-terminated polybutadiene (HTPB) R45) for solid rocket motors
(SRMs) has informed the department that it may leave the SRM business as early as the end of calendar year 2006," said DOD spokeswoman Cheryl Irwin. While DOD officials declined to name the supplier, InsideDefense.com has learned that it is Exton, PA-based Sartomer, a subsidiary of French oil and gas company Total S.A.
Bummer for Aerotech, et.al.
Edmund Hack Houston, TX
We'll always have Mumbai
http://www.orionchem.com /
http://www.moviewavs.com/0058493028/WAVS/Movies/Casablanca/cbfriend.wav
http://www.sirius.com /

......>
If really the only source, it would be a bummer for the US more then a bummer for hobby rocket motor makers.
But then we did just sign a technology and military agreement with a country in mid-Asia a few weeks ago on a visit by the Pres.
You know the one taking our tech jobs away.
Maybe that's why the PA firm is getting out of the business.
Too much Tort, EPA and other concerns they can't make a profit in the US.
But at least the corporations can make money while what little is left of the middle class can almost make ends meet.
and to top that off, now we must worry about families other then in Iowa that can't make ends meet on the other side of the border.
CD
I doubt that Sartomer is getting out of the HTPB business. HTPB is a widely used base polymer for polyurethanes. They may want to get out of the R45M business though but there should be plenty of R45HTLO for everyone.
Cranny Dane wrote:

In article snipped-for-privacy@u72g2000cwu.googlegroups.com, jdMARS at snipped-for-privacy@localnet.com wrote on 3/30/06 7:41 PM:

And RCS has it in stock for immediate delivery.
http://www.rocketmotorparts.com/products.html#chemicals
Gary
--
Gary Rosenfield
President, RCS Rocket Motor Components, Inc.

country
US.
of

I think CD is CD Tavares.

Nope. Tavares would cut you to pieces and you'd think it was a compliment!