Re: Launching heavy rockets

Bob, could you show me where? all the safety code says is that if it is over

> a pound, check with the FAA.

"7. Size. My model rocket will not weigh more than 1,500 grams (53 ounces) at liftoff and will not contain more than 125 grams (4.4 ounces) of propellant or 320 N-sec (71.9 pound-seconds) of total impulse. If my model rocket weighs more than one pound (453 grams) at liftoff or has more than four ounces (113 grams) of propellant, I will check and comply with Federal Aviation Administration regulations before flying."

If it's over any of the limits (total mass, propellant mass, newton-seconds, MR motor), then it's not a model rocket. The only thing for it to be is thus HPR.

Bob Kaplow

Only if certified motors are used and the user is certified for the power class. If not, then amateur.

Also the rocket must be below the MLOW of the motor by the manufacturer, and if not specified, it must be a recommended motor for the KIT, if not then it is amateur again.

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

newton-seconds,

yes I saw this. it said to check with the FAA. It did not say that such a rocket must comply with the HPR codes.

All the FAA is concerned is if you fly it, either get a notam, or a waiver.

Or as jerry said, it might be considered amatuer, but lets stick to this.

Reply to
tater schuld

No, it says that you need to check with the FAA for 454-1500g rockets. The first sentence defines a model rocket as being not more than 1500g. Over

1500g and you're something else. Most likely HPR, but could be amateur or professional.

Bob Kaplow