Re: rocket fuel (funny)

Alan J>>

>> On 27 Oct 2004 16:13:08 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (LeRoycom) wrote: >> >> >All my father can remember about the V-2's is that they had a lot of something >> >to drink when they were stationed there in WW2 :-( >> >> :-( How much methanol did your dad drink? If he was there early on, there

would have been much ethanol. :-)

> >> Alan > >The V-2 used 70% ethanol as fuel... one can >imagine what would have been likely to happen >as the Allies "liberated" the stuff at the end >of the war... > >-dave w

The refereances I have read state that they started out using ethanol, but they had too much shrinkage (unauthorized consumption), and switched to methanol. Still, some of the stout Russian "workers" were able to tolerate drinking methanol.

Alan

Reply to
Alan Jones

would have been much ethanol. :-)

Yos sure about that? Methanol causes blindness and death, even in modest amounts.

Dave

Reply to
David Harper

Slave laborers who know they are going to be worked to death, are probably not too concerned about the health effects of drinking methanol.

Reply to
Christopher Deem

would have been much ethanol. :-)

Yes, that's the stuff. BTW, ethanol is also a poison that will cause death if taken in too large an amount.

Alan

Reply to
Alan Jones

Yea, that ethanol is pretty bad stuff. I've been using it now for 30 years and I do see the results. I used to look a lot younger and act a lot dumber. Now after years of drinking I look older and act smarter. Weird stuff that ethanol.

Reply to
Reece Talley

I wasn't talking about the long term effects. Injesting as little as a cup of methanol can cause blindness and death, and can do the trick within a few days. Injesting a cup of ethanol (hopefully mixed) only results in a great time. :-)

Dave

Reply to
David Harper

A cup of ethanol is more alcohol than a full pint of 80-proof liquor; probably enough to kill some people (just from alcohol poisoning), and way more than is necessary for a great time...

BillW

Reply to
Bill Westfield

Kill someone? Maybe if you weight 95 lbs. Seriously, I've put down a whole pint over the course of a night in my college years. Secondly, I don't think you can compare methanol and ethanol on a 1 to 1 basis for the same reason you can't compare heroin and morphine on a 1 to 1 basis.

Dave

Reply to
David Harper

Kill someone? Maybe if you weight 95 lbs.

Well exactly. That's not so uncommon, for a young woman, for instance. Depending on how fast it's drunk, and whether you manage to throw up before you pass out, and such.

Secondly, I don't think you can compare methanol and ethanol on a 1 to 1 basis for the same reason you can't compare heroin and morphine on a 1 to 1 basis.

Of course not. I have no complaints with "methanol is more dangerous than ethanol." I DO have complaints with "ethanol is entirely safe." The original comment was "ingesting a cup of ethanol only results in a great time"; that's bullshit...

BillW

Reply to
Bill Westfield

I meant that mostly in jest... but, to your point, I'll add the caveat "if you weight more than 170lbs and consume it over the course of the night".

The "great time" will be over immediately upon waking, however.

Dave

Reply to
David Harper