Rocket Builders - WIVB television item

<< You can't. No "jurisdiction" until the system has "played itself out". >>
Major logic flaws there, Jerry. If that were true, and you really needed to be
busted before you could sue the DOT to change their rules, then why did you try to hide the true nature of the package's contents? If you _wanted_ to be busted so that you could challenge DOT's rules, you would have openly shipped the material without false labeling. Secondly, if indeed you _wanted_ to be busted in order to challenge DOT, you should be thanking the people who notified DOT, instead of cursing them.

You are irrational.
Big Fine wrote: << You are irrational. >>
No, you're just in denial. You said yourself that you had to be busted by DOT in order to "get jurisdiction" to sue them. You've tried to paint yourself as some martyr for the cause of reducing DOT regulation. If any of that were true, you would not have falsely labeled that shipment, and you would have _wanted_ to get busted so that you could "get jurisdiction" (your words) to challenge DOT.

You are irrational
David Weinshenker wrote:

If you haven't figured it out; I don't like folks who attempt to involve others in their illegal activities, as Jerry did. As for as what jerry a$$ kissers think of me, I care less. However, I have yet to have anyone, of significant stature, in the rocket community, provide the type content you indicate, in any form of communication.

The DOT web pages contains many examples..

Fred, the DOT narc..(:-)
By Skippy standards (income of the business he doesn't "own" but is one of the "less than 2" employees), it's a BIG fine..(4x the yearly income of the business) If Skipply was bringing in $500k a year, the fine would have been adjusted accordingly!

The maximum fine was $57,500 (ie Boeing or Microsoft).
Anybody wonder why it is so high FOR ANYONE in the first place? Ido.

Jerry Irvine wrote:

Of course you do! Do you think it has anything to do with you labeling rocket motors as "model aircraft parts"?
<< Anybody wonder why it is so high FOR ANYONE in the first place? >>
Because they don't want people intentionally shipping hazmat illegally -- duh!
Jerry Irvine wrote:

Daa, jerry shipped 200 lb of rocket motors, (class 1 hazmat), shipped as model airplane parts, (no hazmat classification), daaa..... Forty grand to the man, not out of line, just a routine fine..
Fred
I don't wonder. It's obvious that they are very much against people doing this and they want to discourage people from doing it.
Expensive lesson aye Jerry. Next time you can call & ask me what I think. Being the nice guy that I am, I'll just charge 25% of the the max fine.

One man's wilful is another man's "I have the papers to prove it".
That has NOTHING to do with the baseline sheer magnitude of the fines.
Have you noticed that DOT and EPA alone are net revenue generators through fines?
Jerry

Jerry Irvine wrote:

What's that make you, fuel for the generator??
W. E.Fred Wallace wrote:

Based on jerry's track record on such matters, the DOT will have to hunt jerry down, to even get a penny from that weasel.
Big Fine wrote: << One man's wilful is another man's "I have the papers to prove it". >>
What papers do you have that give you DOT's approval to ship APCP as "model aircraft parts"?
<< Have you noticed that DOT and EPA alone are net revenue generators through fines? >>
I wouldn't be surprised. Nor would I disagree that many of their regs are excessive and/or unnecessary.
RayDunakin wrote:

Including the ones requiring propellant (in the forms and formulas found in sport rocketry products) to be shipped as "Class 1 Explosives"...
-dave w
Dave W. wrote: << Including the ones requiring propellant (in the forms and formulas found in sport rocketry products) to be shipped as "Class 1 Explosives"... >>
Yes, that may be an example of an excessive regulation. But Jerry has never said that he shipped the stuff illegally to get around the excessive regulations. He insists that he was/is legal. Even now, after being hit with a huge fine, he still argues about it.
It's like speeding. I often exceed the speed limit when I drive, and I can give you plenty of reasons why it's perfectly safe to do so. I can also point out that in most cases, the speed limits are intentionally set too low in order to increase income from fines. I would actively campaign to have the speed limits increased, if I thought it had a snowball's chance to succeed.
What I _won't_ do is claim that speeding is legal when it clearly is not. Nor will I blame the AAA or the cop or the manufacturer of my car or the station where I bought my gas, or anyone else. I accept the risk that I may (and sometimes do) get busted.

At least till I win the lawsuit :)
Jerry
Jerry Irvine wrote:

What lawsuit?
Jerry wrote: << At least till I win the lawsuit >>
Yeah, if you win a lawsuit against DOT, then you can say that what you did was legal. However, I can't imagine any court in the nation would say it's legal to ship flammable solids mislabled as inert "model aircraft parts". BTW, have you actually _filed_ that lawsuit yet?