RockSim for Mac

Just because it runs on LINUX doesn't make it open source or free.

Bob Kaplow

Is it me or does RockSim look an awful like ModRoc from almost 10 years ago?

Chuck

Reply to
Chuck Rudy

Yes, it's a shame.

and most of it is wasted after they get it.

The real problem is most of the US population is tricked into thinking the tax man gives them money in the form of a refund. heck they brag about got the biggest refund down at the local pub.

If the population were paid their full paychecks, and then the tax man came to their homes and took their money away, they would not put up with 1/4 of the waste they do today.

Getting employers to be the tax man behind the curtains was almost sinful.

Reply to
AlMax

Actually, that's not completely true. The provider of the other code (ie, open source) can only require that you provide their code the same way to your end-users. They can't force you to make your code open.

Mark E. Hamilton NAR #48641-Sr

Reply to
Mark Hamilton

Actually, that's not completely true. The provider of the other code (ie, open source) can only require that you provide their code the same way to your end-users. They can't force you to make your code open.

Mark E. Hamilton NAR #48641-Sr

Reply to
Mark Hamilton

They can stop you using their code if you don't open yours though, which amounts to - "if you use my open source code then you have to make your code open-source".

And "they" do precisely that, if by "they" you mean the OSF/Linux guys.

They have won a few landmark legal cases recently and forced people to open their source. The people involved didn't get the option of not using the Linux code either, they were forced to open their code retroactively so-to-speak (and in one case went bankrupt because the code was err is it ok to say "s**te"?).

Reply to
Peter Fairbrother

He said they only have to provide code to end users, not to everyone. Thats not the same as being closed.

The GPL states that anyone who recieves a copy of the binary may request a copy of the code, and that you must give it to them. It doesn't say random people that don't have the software can have it.

There is nothing stopping the people you do give the code to from giving it to said random people, though. Its encouraged, in fact.

Those companies had every option to not use linux code. The Linux kernel is very clearly licensed. If you want to use it, you must follow that license. (I'm assuming you are talking about the hardware manufacturs that used a modified linux kernel for their OS) They used it anyway, ignored the license, and agreed to start following the licnese in a settlement (no GPL case has actully made it to a Judges decision, all cases have settled)

They were never forced too, they agreed to.

Would a Judge force them too, or just fine damages? Who knows, but either way they brought it upon themselves by ignoring the license.

Reply to
John Bowles

I was thinking most recently of the Fortinet UK case, which did go to court in Germany, but which I find was settled rather than taken to a decision.

You are correct. Sorry if I got anyone's hopes up. I expect no-one wants to be first, as the first case will probably go on and on and take up a lot of time and legal fees.

gpl-violations.org did however get an injunction stopping Fortinet UK from distributing their product - which may not be an actual forcing as such, but is pretty strong pressure!

Reply to
Peter Fairbrother

Linux is making it's way into a lot of imbedded system home appliances. everything from my WRT54G wirelss hub that my lap top is talking to right now, to your TIVO are "Linux Inside"

Bob Kaplow

They didn't want to pay a $49 per unit lisence to Apple. Gee I wonder why?

Reply to
Jerry Irvine