ROL NEWS--Save Rocketry NOW Fundraiser and Raffle

September 28, 2003 Web posted at: 4:03 AM EDT

Las Vegas, NV ( ROL Newswire ) -- For the love of rocketry, a small group of rocket fliers have decided to make a huge push to save the rocket hobby. In November the Discovery Channel plans to broadcast coverage of the LDRS 22 rocket launch. A commercial aired during these shows could potential draw thousands of new people into the hobby. However, the deadline for reserving a commercial with the Discovery Channel is less than a week away. Money is needed to run these spots, the video footage for the commercial is being assembled and much is to be done.

A small group of rocketeers want to save our hobby by drawing thousands of new people into the hobby. The Discovery Channel deadline is close. To generate money as quickly as possible, a 'Save Rocketry NOW' raffle is being created. Raffle tickets will go on sale in just a couple days. A press release will be posted shortly on RMR and ROL to give details on how you can get involved to save the hobby by funding the commercial.

Source: ROL Newswire Service

Reply to
ROL News

To expose them to the same issues that drove away over 15,000 rocketeers that used to fly with us? The TRA and NAR policies drove them away. Change the policies back and they will come back. And bring their friends. No cost. No deadlines. No "save the hobby slogan". Just the power of the pen. I have repeated ly posted here on rmr the specific policies that need to be changed to corerect that. I would be glad to head a joint NAR/TRA committee to make proposals to the respective BOD and BoT to change internal policies that have brought this plight upon us.

Jerry

"The power of a single man, focused on a single goal, cannot be underestimated." - Patton

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

Hey Jerry, how about just buying a ticket? It would be a nice gesture even if you don't believe it can help. I mean you do want to help rocketry in general right? You may have better ideas, but here's some people who are acting toward a goal that you support, rather than just talking about it. Don't they deserve some support from you?

- JT

Reply to
Jeff Taylor

Yes AND I am taking steps totally indepent of the failed policies of TRA and NAR too. Just watch.

So where do I buy this raffle ticket anyways?

I even offered raffle fodder but Trojanowski's bias got in the way.

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

Jerry Irvine wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@news.verizon.net:

I assume you have substantive evidence of these 15000 former rocketeers, and the specific reason they abandoned the hobby?

len.

Reply to
Leonard Fehskens

I have anecdotal evidence from hundreds of calls and emails that taken as a pool are indicative of those who did not call or email. So yes.

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

Do you mean HPR rocketeers, or just kids who went to Walmart and Bought an extes rocket. If the latter, your numbers are orders of magnitude too small. if the former, then your way overestimating as usual.

FACT, TRA has never had 10000 members in its entire HISTORY. They are getting very close to handing out #10K. But that's cumulative, not continious. TRA membership had grown rapidly over the 90s, was relatively flat since 2000, but is significantly down over the past 18 months. In fact, they've lost over a thousand members in that time! And unlike Jerry, I have hard figures to back up these claims, provided by TRA!

NAR membership has had some ups and downs, but overall has been pretty flat over the past decade, staying around 5K +/-. IIRC over half of those are now HPR certified, which has obviously grown significantly over that time.

In fact, I'd say that the percentage of NAR members who are HPR certified is about the same as the percentage of TRA members who are HPR certified.

Bob Kaplow

Fair question.

I believe my sample is almost exclusive of those folks. People who have at some point bought a USR product (in the markets they actually service/serviced) are typically D+ rocketeers with a modal range at G or low H.

My numbers are about 20,000 HPR rocketeers nationwide in 1992 and about

2000 or less in 2003.

Those are my numbers. They are arrived at statistically not by hard contact 100% although perhaps 50%.

Of course not. Just like model rocketeers measure in the millions and NAR has only had something like 84000 members EVER and about 4500 active on average, HPR the industry has a slightly skewed version of that.

The lone ranger and organized markets combined were about 20,000 and of that I would estimate in 1992 about 3000 were members of an organizaton (not all members are active).

So in MR for example 4500/~700,000 rocketeers join So in HPR for example 3000/~20,000 rocketeers join.

Therefore if you grow the unaffiliated HPR market by 10000 participants (recover only 2/3 of what we lost) then you have an expectation of a X participant increase ((3000/20000)*10000=1500)in membership purchases.

A fractiuoon of those purchase dual memberships.

One would tink NAR would give their left nut for a 1500 membership increase even if it meant the severe embarrassment of giving real consideration to Jerry Irvine's many proposals, and imnplementing them.

I use USR as a reference point because it was exclusively USR that grew HPR in the first place and made the start-ups of LOC, AeroTech, later PML and others possible. They needed a base to sell into, one which had not had barriers to entry to prevent the originator from being squeezed out. In some markets USR was almost totally squeezed out in favor of LOC or PML. It will be USR that regrows it again since nobody else has displayed the requisite abilities, motivation, skills, or experience. Not to mention performance!!

(you're welcome)

But higher total numbers now by far.

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

If that's true, how is it that my number is 48641? I realize that the 'current' membership is much less than that, but my number is from 10 years or so ago, so isn't the current high number closer to 100K by now?

Mark E. Hamilton NAR #48641-Sr

Reply to
Mark Hamilton

That's your NAR number - Bob was referring to Tripoli membership numbers.

(They recently started asking people to start using 5 digits for compatibility with the eventual issuance of numbers >= 10k - I joined in Jan 2001 and was #08575.

-dave w

Reply to
David Weinshenker

That's your NAR number - Bob was referring to Tripoli membership numbers.

Doh! You saw it before I cancelled it. You'd think with an Sr after my number I'd be more observant. I guess I'll have to blame it on my ever advancing years.

Mark E. Hamilton

Reply to
Mark Hamilton

About 88k or so. Yes.

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

I joined earlier and was Tripoli 012 (leading zero needed then too) :)

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

Now you got me thinking. I haven't been a NAR member since 1982, is there way for me to find out what my old number was? Anyone?

Ted Novak TRA#5512

Reply to
the notorious t-e-d

NAR website. "Join NAR". It says something about that.

-- ""Remove "zorch" from address (2 places) to reply.

Reply to
Fred Shecter

I wish. In 1987 I lost EVERYTHING I owned due to a flood. Lost well over 200 rockets; Estes, Centuri, CMR, FSI etc. Also lost a huge batch of motors including several dozen FSI motors and Crown composites.

Mother nature turned into a Mutha nature.

Ted Novak TRA#5512

RayDunak> renew after a 10 year lapse.

Reply to
moonglow

I'm talking about TRA, which is close to handing out #9999, you're talking about your NAR number. NAR has had 4 decades to hand out numbers, TRA slightly less than two. Come to think of it, NAR got to #10K in about 11 years.

Bob Kaplow

I don't know if numbers from that far back are online anywhere. IIRC NAR computerized in the late 80s, and those records are accessable. NAR HQ would be able to check for you. Bunny or Gassaway probably could too.

Other than that, see if you still have any old magazine or other mail with your old number on it. If you can find out what it was, you can get it back.

Bob Kaplow