ROL NEWS--Sunward Releases New Products

Sunward Releases New Products February 27, 2006 Web posted at: 12:37 PM EST

(ROL Newswire) -- Sunward Aerospace Group Limited has announced three new model rockets kits, Nomex Fire Resistant Blankets and Shock Cord Protectors, Nylon Parachutes, and 29mm Mounting Kits.

The three new kits include Khufu's Pyramid, The Flying Umbrella, and King Tut's 9" Pyramid. King Tut's Pyramid is the first F & G powered rocket from Sunward. All rockets feature laser cut balsa and the pyramid rockets use laser cut mounting rings and bulkhead. Nose weight is included with the pyramid rockets.

Also released were Nomex Fire Resistant Blankets and Shock Cord Protectors available in various sizes. These are made using professional grade Serger sewing equipment and are sewn with Kevlar thread.

The parachutes are a new recovery line from Sunward. Currently available in red, the parachutes are made from rip-stop nylon for durability and have all edges sewn with Serger equipment. In 12, 15, and 18" sizes.

Sunward also announced the release of 29mm Mounting Kits. These kits include laser cut mounting plates. Available for the BT60, BT70, and BT80 tubes. Motor tubes are in 2 lengths. 5 1/4 for E,F, and G motors(2 mounting plates). 11" long for H and I motors (3 mounting plates). All products are now available and now shipping.

For further information, please visit:

Source: Sunward Aerospace Group Limited

Reply to
ROL News

How close to the ground will that F/G pyramid be when the ejection charge goes off on each of those recommended motors?

-Fred Shecter NAR 20117

Reply to
Fred Shecter

off on each

The G will get to 300-400 feet at apoggee. The F seemed to get to 200-300 feet (heavy rocket). The ejection charge height less than that ( no altimiter so no exact numbers).

Angelo Castellano Sunward Aerospace Group Limited

email address on web site

Reply to
Angelo Castellano posting

I asked because if the rocket only gets to 200 or 300 feet apogee, and with a saucer/pyramid that is basically at motor burnout, then the rocket will descend very close to the ground by the time motor ejection occurs. This can cause fires.

Fires are bad.

Very bad.

if you fly on a dry lakebed, then you may not be concerned about this (unless the rocket is approaching your car when ejection occurs).

That is why on regular Model Rocket sized saucers (like the Centuri or Estes or Quest) they use booster motors or on the newer versions from Flis they use either booster or plugged motors.

Have you considered this hazard?

-Fred Shecter NAR 20117

Reply to
Fred Shecter

descend very close

Fred, the good news about these draggy rockets is that they quickly reach a rather low terminal velocity, so they don't fall nearly as fast as a 3FNC model. While a short delay may be three seconds too long, the rocket will still be high enough up to eject safely. Now I wouldn't recommend the use of a long or XL delay in a rocket like this...

Reply to
Bob Kaplow

Yes, I knew that, but the tremendous delay afterburn lasts for a while after the ejection charge has gone off.

Problems could include:

1) Motors ejecting and hitting the ground while hot or flaming (that should be prevented in the design and flight prep). 2) rocket landing while the delay afterburn is still going like a blowtorch. 3) Ejection low enough that ejection "particles" (flaming bits) hit the ground.

I understand that saucers and their close cousins are a religious fanaticism for some, but NOT setting fire to launch sites is also a religion for others.

-Fred Shecter NAR 20117

Reply to
Fred Shecter

descend very close

Yes they are.

During testing, I didn't find any problems with a fire hazard. Both pyramid kits are Level 4. As for dry areas, extra care should always be taken.

To add an extra degree of safety, I will add a small warning to the website for both rockets and will mention the potential in kits as they are produced.