sea launch and recovery

For those on an island or places where land is limited, ever thought of a beach launch and sea recovery where the rocket is made waterproof and it would land in the sea, then some crew on a boat would go and pick it up (has to have GPS beacon so you can find it)
Or even launch off of a ship or something....
-- TAI FU
tai fu wrote:

beach launch and sea recovery where the rocket is made waterproof and it would land in the sea, then some crew on a boat would go and pick it up (has to have GPS beacon so you can find it)

http://www.rocketryforum.com/showthread.php?s 9ba567b21d90a0ad2b3977d589f9bd&threadid#079&highlight=alaska
A few years ago, the University High School students here in Orlando built a large rocket that was launched a couple of times at Walt Disney World's Epcot and recovered by boat in the theme park's World Showcase Lagoon. I don't think they did anything specific to waterproof the rocket since it was recovered quickly after each launch.
-- Roger

http://www.rokits.org/view/?v 050905000
Not sea launched but planned recovery was the River Danube
--
Damian Burrin
UKRA 1159 Level 2 RSO

writes:

The Rockets for Schools launches in Sheboygan do just that.

Like Trip Barber did off his Navy ship?

launch and sea recovery where the rocket is made waterproof and it would land in the sea, then some crew on a boat would go and pick it up (has to have GPS beacon so you can find it)

I've thought of ocean launching but, I don't want to buy a boat. Boating makes rocketry look cheap
Phil