Streamer Question (Comanche III)

I have an Estes Comanche III which keeps having the same issue over and over again. Recovery on the rocket is with dual streamers. Because it is
designed to go quite high (for a C/D class rocket) on 3 stages, Estes chose streamers instead of a parachute for the upper stage.
The problem is that the rocket is _too_ stable on descent. It will go into a front-down orientation with the fins pointing up. This pulls the streamers against the body and effectively renders them useless. This always results in a hard landing on the top of the body tube causing it to crunch. (On the positive side, there is never any fin damage :)
Any suggestions on how to avoid this problem. I've thought about replacing the streamers with a chute, but then I'm afraid the rocket will drift too far in anything but the calmest day.
Thanks! Carlos
Where do you have the streamers attached? It sounds like they're too close to the body tube -- move them farther away.
You could also put a piece of fishing line to the back of the fin-can area and attach the fishing line to the streamers such that the rocket falls sideways...
David Erbas-White
Carlos N wrote:

Hmmm, I'll have to move them even more forward or add a longer shock cord. IF not the fishing line sounds like an idea.... CGN
David Erbas-White wrote:

Try using a longer shock cord and a longer streamer. Also, if you use a mylar streamer, try pleating it to increase the drag.
Bill Sullivan
"Ho! Ha-ha! Guard! Turn! Parry! Dodge! Spin! Ha! Thrust!" --D. Duck