strengthing Estes fins

Steel is real!

That last big-ass-rocket I flew had aluminum case and steel fins so both rocks alot:)

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

No Jerry, to be "old", you have to remember meeting Mr. Sigafoos (sp?).

Alan

Reply to
Alan Jones

I think it is time for someone like "Doc" to show us the numbers. Sadly, all my structures and design books seem to be in storage.

Good Balsa really does have a high strength to weight ratio, and Sitka Spruce is even better. However this strenght is is in one direction, and wood tends to absorb moisture and rot. Many aluminum alloys also have high strength to weight to ratios, in all directions. I would hate have to make BG wings out of aluminum. If wood was not available, I'd probably use foam and fiberglass. Even steel alloys and exotic materials have thier place.

Alan

Reply to
Alan Jones

IF YOU MAKE THE TEST ARTICLES.

He is donating labor and [EXPENSIVE] machine time.

I am donating web space and resources.

I am donating materials for construction with.

ALL YOU HAVE TO DO IS GET OFF YOUR FAT ASS AND MAKE TEST ARTICLES :)

Did I just describe the failure mode?

Your fat ass is not in storage :)

Hi Alan!

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

Then I am old. :)

Model And Craft Show Long Beach.

You suck Alan, you outed me :(

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

So? have you BEEN to Montezuma IA? We went there well over a decade ago, and got the VIP tour, then went throught he balsa stacks and hand picked the best of the best!

Bob Kaplow

Why do you try to raise a big stink when I simply acknowledge the good Doc as a RMR materials and structures authority?

I admit to some laziness. The data may even be in the SIG catalog, or one of the books right behind me at this very moment.

How do you know my ass is fat? It is true that I have succumbed to middle age spread. :( However, I was recently able to squeeze into the same suit (but not the vest) that I wore when I graduated in '78, and I consumed mass quantities, and even danced, at a wedding, without splitting my pants. My personal strength to weight ratio is pathetic, but your fat ass reference was uncalled for. BTW, does this MM motor make my butt look fat? ;)

Reply to
Alan Jones

Watered-down yellow glue and vellum -- drafting paper. You should be able to find vellum all over the place at pretty cheap prices. Nobody does drafting on a drawing board any more these days, but the paper has been in stock for years. In NIRA we were lucky enough to have a member who grabbed a ton of it in D and E size when his firm was tossing the stuff out.

Reply to
Marty Schrader