[Tech] Aerospike Rocket Flights

Gentlemen:
Check out the press release on the aerospike rocket flights on the NASA-Dryden web site at:
http://www.dfrc.nasa.gov/Newsroom/NewsReleases/2004/04-23.html
Photos of the aerospike and the rocket can be found at: http://www.dfrc.nasa.gov/Gallery/Photo/Aerospike_Rocket/Small/index.html
You can also go to the medium or large jpeg photo sections and zoom in and check out the aerospike in detail. Cesaroni Technology Incorporated did a great job on the structural design and fabrication of the aerospike. The aerospike retrofits onto an O5100 motor in place of the conventional conical nozzle. BlackSky Research built the Optimal 168 rocket, and ran the launch operations for the flights.
The aerospike is a centered Prandtl-Meyer all-external expansion design. It delivered 97% of ideal efficiency in ground test (exceeding historical Rocketdyne data), and theoretically would deliver the same high efficiency from sea level to vacuum flight conditions.
The rocket flights were to demonstrate operation of the aerospike in flight, and to measure installation effects compared to the uninstalled ground static firings. CFD was run not only for the aerospike hot gas flowfield, but for the combined rocket and aerospike plume flowfield.
This is the most highly instrumented high power/experimental rocket ever flown. In addition to highly accurate accelerometers and pitch, yaw, and roll rate sensors, the rocket used a conic nosecone with a built-in Flush Air Data System (FADS) (like a pitot tube), calibrated with CFD and cone pressure tables. This was the first inflight direct aerodynamic measurement of angle of attack on a model, high power, or experimental/amateur rocket.
An article for High Power Rocketry is in work, JANAAF and AIAA papers and tech articles in High Power Rocketry will follow.
Chuck Rogers Co-Principal Investigator
E-Mail: snipped-for-privacy@aol.com
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (CRogers168) wrote:
Does this constitute posting Tripoli business in public?
Congrats supreme BTW Chuck.
Or should I say Crazy-Chuck?
Jerry
http://www.v-serv.com/crp/CRm/4-81/CRm.4-81.04.w.jpg
http://www.v-serv.com/crp/CRm/7-82/CRm.7-82.06.w.jpg
http://www.v-serv.com/crp/CRm/10-82/CRm.1082.09.w.jpg
You're welcome.

From "Crazy-Chuck" ramjets to Mach 7 aero data measurements and installed thrust from the recent X-43A scramjet flight; it's taken a while. In fact it's taken so long that now I'm supervising those at the AFFTC doing the data reduction, using programs I supervised the development of, using theories I refined years ago. Seems I gained a little weight during all this time too, judging by the old photos!
Chuck Rogers

snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (CRogers168) wrote:

Um, uh, mass.
And a reduction in pigmentation.
But the same old shirt!

Jerry irvine wrote:

Thanks for the pics Jerry! -- Bruce Kirchner TRA L2 #5888 Michigan Team 1 High Power Rocketry Proud Gun Owner!
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (Bruce Kirchner) wrote:

That was Chuck 20 years ago. His recent picture could be YOU 10-20 years from now. Shoot for it.
Jerry

snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (CRogers168) wrote:
snip

Hey, that IS truly cool!

I neglected to mention below that beyond building the rockets and running launch operations, Blacksky Research coordinated the development of the aerospike nozzles and solid rocket motors, provided overall project management on the contractor side, and really helped refine the whole concept of using large high power rockets for advanced flight test research. All at a low cost relative to normal government aerospace projects.
Chuck Rogers

Nice work Chuck, congrats!
Hi Chuck,
I hope the puncture wound is healing up ok. :-) The story made SpaceflightNow last night. http://www.spaceflightnow.com/news/n0404/19aerospike /
Anthony J. Cesaroni President/CEO Cesaroni Technology/Cesaroni Aerospace http://www.cesaronitech.com / (905) 887-2370 x222 Toronto (410) 571-8292 Annapolis

It "sticks" the landing :)

Anthony:
You can't open with a line like "hope the puncture wound is healing ok", and not tell the rest of the story--no fair :-)
Well; it turns out that the tungsten tip on the aerospike is REALLY SHARP. While walking around the rocket as it was mounted on the transfer cart I got "speared" by it. It put a tear in my shirt, but it didn't break the skin. It did not draw blood!
For this experiment we wanted a "pure" spike that went all the way to a sharp tip. For an "operational" aerospike there is predicted to be very little performance loss for up to a 25% reduction in the spike length.
You'd want at least some minimal truncation to avoid that VERY sharp tip.
Which was suggested by CTI, but again, for the "purity" of the experiment we wanted a sharp tip.
Chuck Rogers E-mail: snipped-for-privacy@aol.com

Perhaps a safety device could be attached to prevent injury prior to launch. How about a marshmallow?
Joel. phx

got
It
<< Perhaps a safety device could be attached to prevent injury prior to launch. How about a marshmallow? >>
One of those Day-Glo yellow Peeps would be better.

I can see the NASA spec tech report now on that component! A 50 page manual on its specs and usage and safety protocols.
For a Peep!!
Jerry
Jerry Irvine wrote:

I can't wait to see the MSDS for this one!
David Erbas-White

It would certainly contain more carcinogens than dihydrogen monoxide. But it would have a lower indidence of mass property damage and death.

Jerry
Peep!

year old Peeps!
writes:

launch.
In the proper envoronment...Peeps don't last that long. :-)
John

http://nira-rocketry.org/LeadingEdge/Phantom4000.pdf
www.nar.org
http://www.space-rockets.com/congress.html