Question

Most likly I'll get flamed for this, but I figure a question is harmless.
I have been reading this newsgroup off and on since about 1992 or so.
I know of the t-shirt deal kind of, but I had never ordered anything from
Jerry.
I've seen some people here flame him when ever he posts anything. And I've
seen
others who said he was ok.
Yes, I have met him once, and he seemed ok to me. I see there was some kind
of
judgment against him, I see him selling rockets and now engines.
I might be wrong, but to me it would seem that if he was allowed to get up
speed selling, maybe , just maybe things would get taken care of.
I looked at those engines, and there's a few I wouldn't mind using in some
new birds.
If I was to buy one or so, he could even drop it off as he dose know where I
live.
I've seen the batter back and forth and I'm not sure which side I would
stand on, because
for one I don't know all the facts in all the cases.
To save a bit of bandwith, if anyone has something to say I will at lest
read what you have to say
and you can use the return address on this message as it is good.
Reply to
Starlord
So why don't you go ahead and buy some stuff (motors and such) from him and let us know how it works out at the next NAR or TRA launch you attend? Thanks!
Reply to
Greg Cisko
You can't stop the flood of anti Jerry posting. Although he may deserve it doesn't matter much to the few who hide behind their net names. They spend most of the day posting the same stuff over and over. They rarely do anything else. If Jerry wasn't available for their entertainment they would go insane. I have followed it for a couple years and the posts don't really change much. Don't worry about them much. The flames are harmless. Face to face they wouldn't say shit. Clubs are full of the keyboard jockeys that show up at the local launch, fly a g motor every now and then, and go home to rush into the computer room and see what Jerry posted. Their kids are learning how to play catch down the street from the local registered sex offender but they are keeping Jerry in check.....Wow these guys are great. Or maybe not who knows.
Reply to
Chad L. Ellis
Are you talking aout anyone specifically? Do you have first hand knowledge of what you claim? Are just another one of the keyboard flyers?
Reply to
Phil Stein
No hiding behind the keyboard here. I wouldn't mind reading your posts about Jerry if you could just come up with something new. You have posted the same info for years. Move on. Do something for the hobby. . . .
Reply to
Chad L. Ellis
I have purchased a couple of rocket kits from Jerry over the past several months. I have to admit to being reticent because of the many comments.
I was overall fairly pleased with the kits. The first kit that I bought had some 'improvements' that I suggested to Jerry, mostly from a matter of clarifying the instructions for 'newbies' (there was no problem for those with any experience building kits). I was actually pretty impressed with the quality of his fins. I also appreciated the 'design' of the rockets I purchased, but I can't quite explain why .
I haven't built the second kit yet (just got it and been busy), but each time I ordered, the kits were shipped that day, well packaged, and whenever I had a question or comment on the kits I received a well-thought out response (for example, some of my comments about the first kit were based on incorrect assumptions on my part -- but he felt that certain other comments were valid -- and that's what communication is all about).
I won't hesitate to buy more kits from in the future.
Motors is a different issue entirely. I'm not comfortable with how Jerry plays fast-and-loose with things like the DOT regulations, and the fact that I can't use his motors at a 'sanctioned' launch is a further barrier. But, it's a barrier that Jerry has chosen not to cross, and that's his decision to make -- there are plenty of other vendors who HAVE played the 'game' by the rules, and I give them my business for motors.
David Erbas-White
Reply to
David Erbas-White
I don't want anybody mistaking this for taking up for jerry, but Kalifornia is a very unique state when it comes to rocketry, especially hobby rocketry.
Unlike the other 49 states, the NFPA codes are not in effect; kalifornia has their own sets of rules and regulations that pertain to rocketry specifically for kalifornia only.
A far as I am aware, all that is required to sell motors in kalifornia is they be inspected by the kalifornia state fire marshall and have the kalifornia state fire marshalls logo on them....they don't have to be nar or tra certified. Obviously these motors cannot be used at NAR/TRA sponsored events in kalifornia, but as I pointed out, you don't even have to be a member of either organization to build and launch rockets in kalifornia.
shockie B)
Reply to
shockwaveriderz
what interests me is for jerry to get his kalifornia pyrotech license, by kalifornia law, jerry had to get references from 5 current other kalifornia pyrotech license holders, to vouch for his "character"... I wonder who those 5 people are?
shockie B)
Reply to
shockwaveriderz
That would be ab awefull long wait, as I am Not an NAR member nor am I a high power rocketeer, I fly Model Rockets out here in the desert and I fly under the banner of the SIAR.
Reply to
Starlord
jerry does NOT have a California Pyro license.
jerry does NOT have state fire marshal approval or permits.
jerry does NOT have DOT or ATF permits.
Reply to
Dave Grayvis
I would love a face to face, but hey i know your not talking about me as my email is now mugged, but you have always known who the f&%K I am. "One of the Jerry bashers"
Fred Wallace
Reply to
W. E. Fred Wallace
Regardless of the "California" rules, in order for "big fine" to offer his motors for sale, "anywhere" in commerce to consumers or dealers they must be properly approved with assigned UN numbers and approved DOT paperwork in J.I's name. His motors comply with none of the DOT rules, nor are they approved by the state of California, as are A/T and other manufactures.
Fred
Reply to
W. E. Fred Wallace
Correct. That is precisely what the association leaders are trying to avoid like the plague and are more than willing to ignore the rules in the process to (successfully) achieve.
I have to live with that. Therefore so do you.
Nope. You live in Kalifornia.
Jerry
Reply to
Jerry Irvine
False. Always was, always will be.
I can sell Aerotech motors, and they are not in my name.
I can sell any motors at all with any "competent authority approval".
Period.
I do not sell consumer motors in any case at this time so that is not an issue. But hey, if any vendor (motor/propellant) of mine is willing to overcome the anti-Jerry-only bias at either TRA or NAR, I am willing. I am not holding my breath, at least so long as Fred Wallace is breathing as well.
Jerry
There are no Jerry-motors and there NEVER have been. Ever.
Reply to
Jerry Irvine

Site Timeline