The Joy of Failure

I've mentioned my intent re Level 1-- building a fairly complex rocket, hybrid powered, decent electronics, H & I capable. Also, "low and slow" for
the certification flight. RockSim said it would work.
Well, I failed to recall the that the devil is in the details... and the weight of those details add up. As construction progressed I watched the weight climb. And climb. Finally, when the total launch weight passed 6 lbs, and simulations predicted an altitude of 700' on an H155, I figured it out. Too heavy. Nice rocket, but too heavy for the H. Damn. Order the 'I' casing.
The solution is simple. Build another rocket. A bit smaller, a bit simpler. Apogee-only deployment. Still rugged and a fairly low flyer on that H motor. Launch the orignal bird as well on an I motor. I've got plenty of NOX and extra rail buttons....
Poor me, eh?
Kevin OClassen NAR 13578

If you do it with 2.6" tubing and an electronics bay under the noscone, splitting in the middle, it will be just like my L1 rocket!
--
Niall Oswald
================================
Kevin OClassen wrote:

Yep, poor you, learning from what went wrong, rather than just trying the same thing again. I think a lot of times, we learn more from failure (when we're interested in learning, that is) than we do from success.
-Kevin

And this time no rockets were harmed in the process of enlightenment :)
--
Niall Oswald
================================

Not yet, anyway.
KO
Order the I...It is a cool motor...You will love it!
Proud owner of the whole SRS line
Mark Palmer

for
lbs,
out.
casing.
simpler.
motor.
On Thu, 19 May 2005 15:14:15 GMT, "Mark A Palmer" <mpalmer@nospam mpalmerinc.com.net> wrote:>Order the I...It is a cool motor...You will love it!

Now why doesn't that surprise me...? <g>
Eldred

Nah the solution is simpler than that, don't piddle arround certifying on a little h155 do youe cert flight in style certify on a big I :-)
Damian
--
Damian Burrin
UKRA 1159 Level 2 RSO

Oy! I'm planning to piddle about doing mine on a little H100 ;)
Ideally of course it'd be on an I300T though :)
--
Niall Oswald

Shhhh! I've managed to keep that tidbit of info away from the spouse so far. The justification to build another rocket can't be overlooked.
Seriously, I've considered that. Since L1 really seems to boil down to "Do you have the cojones to press the button on an H+ motor", I'm trying to decide if they are as big as the rocket :)
Kevin OClassen