Water Rockets

Was doing some optimal water rocket calculations. Looked around for a good launcher design and found this fellow. He seems to have done everything I was doing and then some. I particularly like his boosted dart from a 2-liter bottle, although the prospect of a 60-gram missile coming in stable from 470 feet is... daunting. I suggest small water balloons as boosted darts :-)

This is fun stuff. Now have a spreadsheet that uses the Excel solver to optimize launch mass and fill ratio. Also discovered the viscosity of water declines rapidly with temperature. Spigot warm water sends rockets higher.

Say... anyone know the specific heat ratio of moist air? Dry air is 1.4, so I've been using 1.35. What's a geek to do?

Regards,

-Larry (Don't laugh. They can't regulate it!) C.

Reply to
Larry Curcio

The ultimate water rocket was the one Evil Knivel tried to ride across snake river. It was actually compressed steam but still enough thrust to get him partially over, if not for the early release of the parachute he might have made it.

Dave

Reply to
bswarm

They do if it has more than 240g of DiHydrous MonoOxide on board :-(

Bob Kaplow

Or perhaps if not for the early release of the parachute he might have bought it...

Bob Kaplow

I don't know how _that_ got into the code, but I think that both the water rocket fliers and those who would be expected to regulate them have so far shown the good sense not to notice it.

-dave w

Reply to
David Weinshenker

Dihydrogen Monoxide! Threat or menace?