What is "zippering"?

Sorry to keep posing newbie questions, but I haven't quite found the answer to this one.

What exactly is "zippering"? I've gathered that it is related to high speed deployment of the recovery system, but beyond that I'm guessing.

I suspect that when I see it I'll know exactly what it is. Much like I discovered last week while launching from the local frozen lake why "chuffing" is an exactly appropriate term.

Thanks again for any information.

Kevin OClassen

Reply to
Kevin OClassen

The shock cord is over the edge of the tube during high speed deployment and the cord rips through the tube itself down to the shock cord mount. It is called zippering because the tube bunches up in a zig-zag in the narrow band that is ripped.

Possible solutions. Use a cross form parachute. Use a slide ring on your parachute shrouds. Put a kinda fat thing on your shock cord just below the lip of the tube (masking tape works fine.

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

Ouch!