?

snipped-for-privacy@some.domain wrote in news:Wo9Kl.250815$UQ6.160411@en-nntp-

03.dc1.easynews.com:

OK. So, what colours did the Japanese paint their service vehicles during WWII?

Also started working on the Masterkit Beriev Be-12. Any recommendations on the exterior colours? All the 'windows' are decals so I want to get it right first time.

Bill Banaszak, MFE Sr.

Reply to
Mad-Modeller

hmm, i didn't have a driver's license then, so i didn't notice. the pics i've see of the be-12 were black and white. drawings i've seen had that soviet dark shit green, some with black frames on windows. what was that rooshan seaplane you sent me? a be-2?

Reply to
someone

snipped-for-privacy@some.domain wrote in news:63aKl.202117$ snipped-for-privacy@en-nntp-08.dc.easynews.com:

That was a Be-6. I thought it was WWII era but apparently it was a post- war type. The Be-12 is a turboprop based on the -6's design but visibly different. The photo on the box shows a grey model.

Bill Banaszak, MFE Sr.

Reply to
Mad-Modeller

synews.com:

Don't know if this'll help, but the picture I have is from the Munson book "Flying Boats and Seaplanes" and shows it in a service grey, number 56 in pale blue outlined in black and the roosin' stars are dark red outlined in brighter red. No photos that I've found yet. Hope this helps.

Reply to
The Old Man

I think we are seeing the death of Usenet. The groups I still subscribe to seem to be down to about 10% of the traffic they had a few years ago. And a lot of THAT traffic is spam. I hate to see this happen, but it IS happening. Of all my modeling buddies in the local area, I am the only one hanging out here. The rest have all gone to genre-specific, web-based discussion groups.

I figure I have used Usenet for over fifteen years now. It was great while it lasted.

Reply to
Don Stauffer

and blogs are killing the music groups.

Reply to
someone

Does this help?:

I have a damned book about the Be-12, but an hour's searching turned up nothing. I have the same kit, and I bought the book as a reference in case I actually *built* it, but of course now I can't find either one of them! If it ever does appear, I'll post something, but I hope the walkaround above will give you what you need.

John

Reply to
jthmpson

The Old Man wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@s1g2000prd.googlegroups.com:

The one in the walkaround (Thank you for that. Sorry I lost your name in transitioning to the site.) has a very light greenish-grey and it's not well painted around the window frames. The kit doesn't have the right shape to the hull behind the step. The kit's is flat diagoally and the real craft has a longitudinal curl to it. The kit has a '92 date on it so I'm guessing they had no access to a real one and relied on distant photos.. The pics in the walkaround gave me the proper locations of the chines on the nose. The instructions are a bit inexact on that. Or, I'm just getting dumber as I age. ;) The only angle missing in the walkaround is from above and that would have been informative as to the actual shape of the dorsal areas. The kit's are somewhat flat and the transition to the sides is angular. Finding the right paints to mix that grey will kepp me thinking for a bit.

Bill Banaszak, MFE Sr.

Reply to
Mad-Modeller

Don Stauffer wrote in news:49f9ba15$0$89386 $ snipped-for-privacy@news.qwest.net:

That's too bad as I prefer the open discussion here even if we're talking about the spam. Hmm, you'd think they'd be busy today since we're at the end of the month. Anyway, some of my best modelling friends are found here. I hope we all stay connected.

Bill Banaszak, MFE Sr.

Reply to
Mad-Modeller

I hope so too, Bill. But many of my friends have left.

Reply to
Don Stauffer

well, I'm gonna stay here at RMS till I'm the last one here. I'll just ask and answer my own questions. The genre specific groups trouble me as I build just about everything. Here at RMS you get a little bit of everything, model tips too. Just the way I like it. We need to keep this small disfunctional family together.

Craig

Reply to
Musicman59

...me too. I even managed to go down to Hollywood and not buy a guitar today...

Reply to
Rufus

ha, i'll be the last one! the genre groups are great for very specific questions, advice and general how to stuff, but even having been subjected to really stupid and careless lackwits, i like the openess and variety of folks we get. sure, there's thread drift, ot and spam, but there is also much life and some great guys. would i have met al s, bill b, enzo, (i mean, how cool is an obscure anime nym? especially one from a totally unrecognized for what it is pioneering, world changing technological marvel?) rufus i can ride with, craig is funny, everyone i haven't specidiaclly named adds quality to my life and maybe, just maybe, i might have made a valid contribution. i'm not arrogant enough to claim more. moderated, specific groups have their place, this group is my corner bar and the regulars are all right.

Reply to
someone

i'm going down to liverpool to do nothing, all the rest of my days. wassamatta, didn't have one wink at you this time? very sad.....

Reply to
someone

...actually, I saw one just like I bought a couple weeks ago, but with white knobs and pickup covers, and a nicer more honey toned neck...and I think it was more black than mine, with less gold pearl in the clearcoat, if any.

If I'd got hold of that one I'd really have a Gilmour-like replica once I get my black pickguard and trem cover. But that would sort of defeat the purpose of build "my own" black Strat.

Reply to
Rufus

as much fun as tributes are, i have a tendency to look at them rather then play with them. that's why my custom sr isn't ridden much. it looks so much like a classic 60's cafe racer and has the thin, two tone seat which makes it hard. with a bad back that makes for short rides. it is also dead stock internally and that doesn't allow me to drag peg or scrape muffler. so it will be sold, for an excellent price to a lucky soul who will ride it. you saw my hot rod, soon i hope to show you the stealth monster. it's a dead, stock looker with all the custom inside. 46 hp on a 300lb machine. i used a elkhart transmission cooler for the oil cooler, slung it in the airstream under the tank on the frame downtube and it's a real worker. i just want to get some aircraft woven metal hose for the oil lines. the black rubber stuff doesn't look right. the seat is a nice fat stocker good for my fat ass. let's go riding, soon, ok? don't you need to hit barstow for a cruise to victorville via the great lucerne valley back door? i bet the harley shop has some shiny piece you can't live without. still have a weekday off? damn, now i'll have riding dreams all night.....

Reply to
someone

Yup. And I'm on an individuality kick when it comes to my guitar playing - so I don;t particularly want to be associated with someone else's axe or style...though I seem to be able to mimic styles pretty well. I don't even want to be associated with any one guitar or another...I drag my Fenders from place to place because I don't really think much of them and don't care about them getting road weary, but I'm primarily a Gibson Les Paul fanatic. But I'm getting closer to having my own signature amp rig and sound...a sound I like, anyway.

Just did a little peg tuneup - had to bend a peg spring to keep one from flopping around. Really should have done two of them...I'll have to go back. Chores day today as it is...laundry's spinning, wind's blowing...

Reply to
Rufus

snipped-for-privacy@some.domain wrote in news:Y4aLl.183442$ snipped-for-privacy@en-nntp-05.dc.easynews.com:

I'll try to do better next time.

Ferraris?

Bill Banaszak, MFE Sr. ;)

Reply to
Mad-Modeller

yeah, that damned wind is really wound up. we've had bursts up to 50mph. that makes riding very tiring as you know. i hate when it blows acrss from the left back. i only kept my old martin. it's one of the rare super dreadnought bodies. they were too big for most people. i bought it from a 90lb girl who thought she could play it. it won. i won. but it's really too big.

Reply to
someone