1/72 scale air dropped anti-shipping torpedoes?

Hey all!
Living here in the RoK and getting into a lot of the
history of the 1950-53 war. Red the book "Crimson
Tide" about the air war in Korea. One of the stories
related by the Navy was the last recorded US air
dropped use of anti-shipping torpedoes. Apparent-
ly there was a dam that needed taken out and a
flight of Skyraiders launched from a carrier with a
load of WW II leftover torpedoes and took it out.
I'm thinking it would be really cool to have a Gloss
Blue Skyraider with a torpedo and white letter mark-
ings sitting on the window sill behind my desk in the
classroom.
Having said that... Where can I find a torpedo? I
don't build WW II a/c in 1/72 often and don't remem-
ber seeing any with torpedoes while in the hobby
shops. Do you guys know of anything I could pick
up easily with said unit?
Thanks in advance!
-andyh
Reply to
hill4448
I only build 1/48 - but a quick peak at Google reveals White Ensign sells a pair of resin & PE Mk 14s torpedos for around $11 bucks and change. Here's two online dealers from the top of the Google que:
Personally, I'd have to take a whack at scratch building the torpedo. It is after all essentially just a cylinder rounded on one end and tapered on the other. This is a nice super large pic of the Mk14 giving the basic outline and details
In 1/72nd, a 1/4" dia plastic or wood dowel cut down to a little under 3 1/2" in length is about right for the Mk 14. A little quality time with a belt or disc sander should produce good results for the main body of the torp. Even rubbing the dowel against a flat sheet of sandpaper should produce quick results. The fins and props are a little more involved, but can be cut and shaped from brass flat stock - which appears to be precisely what you get in the WE kit.
Happy hunting.
WmB
Reply to
WmB
Actually, the torpedo in question is the Mark 13. It was shorter than the -14 or its surface version, the Mark-15, and was actually 22" instead of 21".
Reply to
Matt Wiser
The unit in question was "Carlson's Raiders" or VA-195. You can come up with a reasonable approximation with a 1/48 Skyraider (either Monogram or Tamiya, but both need some work to turn them back into AD-4s and not the AD-6/7/A-1H that comes in the kit) and Accurate Miniatures which makes a Mk 13 torpedo.
The photos of the "Carlson's Raiders" aircraft on that raid show them with two small napalm tanks on the wing pylons and one Mk 13 on the center one, with a plywood ring around the warhead as an air brake.
Cookie Sewell
PS Yeah, I want to build one too!
Reply to
AMPSOne
Glancing around Ebay for a while, it appears that the old Airfix Devastator kit in 1/72 has an air dropped anti-shipping torp. Anyone know if this would be what I'm looking for?
Thanks in advance!
Reply to
hill4448
The Devastators used the Mark-13, as did the TBF/M and the Skyraider. So yes, it would be what you need. Keep in mind that you'd probably need a ring tail assembly aft of the tailfins, as the Mark-13s began using those in Summer-Fall 1944, initially in VT-13, but it was later used Fleet-wide. I'd bet the torpedoes VA-195 dropped were the ring-tailed version.
Reply to
Matt Wiser

Site Timeline