1/72 scale figures question

Hey all!
Working in Korea and building models of the Korean War (Fratricidal War here). I've got some 'Korean War Era US Army' figures and
I can probably scam with SOME from Vietnam and from WW II. My question is more along the lines of additional detail.
I want to do a diorama of the of the "advance in a different direction" at Chosin. How would I go about adding long coats and packs on top of them to figures in 1/72. Same would go with doing ponchos, I suppose, but they'd be easier since the pack is underneath.
advTHANXance! <- THANX in advance
-andyh

you could make the coats out of miliput-type putty perhaps, or how about using lead foil or even aluminum foil?