1/8 RC B-52 Destroyed in crash

I know several ex-F/A-18 drivers whom are flying 737s or 757s these days. The stories of the rudder failure drills they have to go through during training and recurrency are eye-watering...

Yes - but I don't feel that it's anything that a model of this size and power should have had a problem with...unless the design of the model was flawed in some way.

That's what I thought. Didn't have the pics handy, but that certainly makes sense scale-wise.

Having fallen out of the sky myself (jumping), I can only attest that the law of gravity SHALL be obeyed...as I recall takeoff gross for this model was 300 lbs or something like that. That's one reason I don't think the wind was that much of a factor - the thing just plain carried too much inertia. What I was more surprized about was the fire...but I guess that should have been expected. After all, it did come down under power.

I know that when I was thinking hard about getting into building a ducted fan R/C model I got plenty and continuing advice about avoiding most of the swept wing subjects I really wanted to build because of their tendency to snap roll. IMO, if this B-52 had had some sort of yaw sensor/limiter it would probably still be flying.

Unfortunately since I work around fighters, most of the people I know whom do "stupid things with aircraft" are dead...:(

Reply to
Rufus

I'm sure it was a true B-52 hence no ailerons but spoilers.

Richard.

Reply to
Richard Brooks

More pic's---"before and after"

Jer038

"http 403 forbidden you are not authorized to view this page"

Anyone else?

The Keeper (of too much crap!)

Reply to
Keeper

same here

Erik

"Keeper" schreef in bericht news: snipped-for-privacy@mb-m16.aol.com...

Reply to
Erik Wauters

Same here.

Reply to
Rufus

"site has been suspended"

Reply to
someone

I got it fine when it was first posted but now all that's there is 'This site has been suspended.' Probably a bandwidth issue.

Reply to
Al Superczynski

Also got the forbidden note - probably means too many folks tried to get in and the site manager suspended the site.

Val Kraut

Reply to
Val Kraut

Me too.....

The Old Timer

yes me too

Reply to
Ted Taylor

same here. Says I don't have permission to view this page. My wife AND my mom both say it's ok, so what's the deal? ; )~

When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return. --Leonardo Da Vinci EAA # 729686 delete .mil.nav to email

Reply to
Disco -- FlyNavy

just another reminder that gravity sucks!

Steve

Reply to
NAHobbies

OK, I WAS there, and I have it on video. This is how it seemed to me: On Saturday, it was pretty windy, and he flew the model with some gusto, certainly not scale-like in the turns. I commented then that this temptation to fly at the ragged edge when diplaying either models or full size had led to a lot of crashes of late, not least the Royal Navy Historic Flight Firefly, with fatal results. On Sunday, the wind was really terrible, and my mates in control line Carrier were having trouble. I must admit I was surprised when I saw the beast take to the air, and proceed to be flown as enthusiastically as the previous day. Because it was so impressive, I set my video camera going, and thought I would get a shot of it just for the folks who weren't there. It flew upwind into what I would estimate to be about a 35 knot headwind, and then made turn downwind. With the degree of bank we had seen before, I must admit I wasn't entirely surprised when the inboard wing continued to drop and it spiralled straight in. Whether it was a stall (remember the model is huge and heavy and has considerable inertia) because it suddenly needed to gain 70 knots to maintain the same airspeed downwind, or wether it was simply the swept wing phenomenon of getting past a critical angle and not being able to recover (apparently the 1:1 has that trouble) I don't know. Could always be a combination of the two........

Reply to
Nigel Cheffers-Heard

Hi, Nigel,

Any chance of posting your video on a webpage?

Also , hey guys. Go to this URL and spend a couple of hours seeing spectacular plane crashes.

There is the video on a full sized B-52 making too sharp a turn at an air show and crashing into the ground at Fairchild AFB.

Reply to
PaPaPeng

As a Navy Aviation Safety School grad who's seen a lot of these, I'm torn both ways about these videos. There can be a tremendous amount to learn if you know what led to the mishap but just watching a flying machines and people get torn up does nothing for me. The Fairchild BUFF mishap is covered in the excellent book "Darker Shade of Blue" by Lt. Col. Tony Kern, Ph. D.

When we reviewed the causal factors and watched a copy with the audio on at Monteray you hear a child in the back ground saying "Here comes Daddy" not something that's particularly enjoyable Allen

Reply to
Allen Epps

I've seen at least two videos of this crash - I'd like to know which one was yours...probably the better one.

Anyway, I took the better one to work and showed it to some colleges of mine - one or two of whom are former B-52 crewmen. Suffice it to say that they had some "less than impressive" things to say about the mishap pilot...surprised even myself.

I'll pass along from them (for you to pass along to the model crew) that a B-52 is not designed to be handled in the manner displayed in your video. I'm of the opinion that the winds probably weren't that much of a factor for a 300 lb model, however, an aircraft with that degree of wing sweep is probably very prone to snap rolling when excessively yawed

- which is what both I and my former Buff operating collegues gathered happened, after some scrutany of the video. The tendancy to snap roll when excessively yawed is an inherent aerodynamic characteristic of swept wing aircraft, as I'm sure the building/flying team knows.

I sincerely doubt that the model stalled - remember that upon turning downwind, an aircraft's ground speed will change but it's airspeed will actually remain constant. Also, I could see no excessive pitch excursion, but could see the model posversely yaw...making the snap roll theory more plausable.

As I've mentioned elsewhere, there are striking similarities between the loss of this model and footage of a full scale B-52 crash some years ago

- at an airshow at Shaw AFB, I believe. In that case it was determined that the pilot exceeded the limitations of the aircraft by initiating a FAR too aggressive turn, compounded by initiating said turn at far too low an altitude.

I've also mentioned elsewhere the loss of a (full scale) QF-86 under similar circumstances some years back - the aircraft was destroyed, and the pilot was killed. The hypothesis was that an improper ridgeline crossing resulted in excessive yaw, an asymetric slat deployment, and high speed snap roll - we duplicated the circumstances at altitude with a second QF-86 to validate the theory...what a ride.

I hear that the team plans to build a second big Buff. I'd STRONGLY urge that anyone flying this model limit turns to roughly 60 degrees of bank, and build some sort of yaw compensation into the control system. I'd hate to see them loose another one...the model was truely a fine achievement.

Reply to
Rufus

Well stated. I also get to see the aftermath of enough mishaps not to care to re-hash them.

Learn from them, then move on.

Reply to
Rufus