2001 Discovery Model

Does anyone know if there is a model available to buy of the Discovery ship from the movie 2001 A Space Odyssey? If so, where can it be found? Thanks.

Reply to
Alexander DeLarge

There was a nice (loads of work!) rather large scale from Lunar Models some 30" long. They pop up from time to time on eBay. Bring your wallet, first-born and whatever else you can throw into the mix because they don't come cheap. Usuallu around $150 - $200, sometimes more if a bidding war gets going.

There is/was another smaller scale about 12" long. Its got less detail but is still nice and can be made into a decent rendering. These generally run around $25 or so.

HTH

-- John

Reply to
Old Timer

I once saw a resin model maker who had one, but I've lost their site's address.

Reply to
starlord

You may or may not be meaning the PlanetX version, but that's £55:

one features, amongst other things, a 'spine' of brass rod to which every one of the little boxes has to be glued... Highly detailed (although that's not necessarily the same thing as accurate).

Wulf

Reply to
Wulf Corbett

This one features, amongst other things, a 'spine' of brass rod to

there is a 12" or about version from a recaster named larson designs. this will appear on ebay every so often. there is a much larger version from atomic city built by captain cardboard

jack

addedum here is the guy to watch for the smaller discovery

jack

I have the version from Chris Larson and that's the smaller one that I was referring to. Usually around $25.00 of so and a pretty nice kit. It has a spine of brass rod for strength with the resin pieces molded to/around it instead of having to be molded. Minimal air bubbles/pockmarks and IIRC, maybe 5 pieces.

-- John

Reply to
Old Timer

Yeah, but it's a re-cast, made by the lowest form of life on the modelling evolutionary scale - a re-caster.

RobG

Reply to
Rob Grinberg

That ~may~ be true, but at the time I bought this model at my local brick 'n' mortar, it was the only game in town. Lunar was (and still is) out of my price range and the other kits are damned hard to find. I've gone to several of the garage sellers like Monsters in Motion since I've had the computer, but back then, all I had was whtever catalogs I could find. As for Chris Larson's stuff, he's been around since the 1970s (first purchase was a "V" shuttlecraft cut down the middle to make any of the three types with little mods) made from the late and lamented New Frontier up in Canada. He didn't re-pop then and I'm not sure that this stuff is either. I could be wrong; it wouldn't be the first time (twice married 8-P) but I think that this time I'm right.

-- John

Reply to
Old Timer

If you're still interested in the Discovery, there are a craphouse of them at eBay right now (no, I'm NOT selling them!) all running for the same "Buy it now" price of $179.00 I told you that they're pricey, but these models are 32" long (in the ever-popular 1:211 scale) with a mini EVA Pod included.

-- John

Reply to
Old Timer

Reply to
Casey Tompkins

Here's a few links to sites that have some decent reviews of some of the kits of the Discovery that have been produced:

I will say the best and most available kit is the large Lunar Modules resin kit, however beware of recasts, some of which are regularly sold on eBay. And even be aware that the casting quality from Lunar Models themselves was wildly inconsistent through the years. I've seen kits of this subject with nearly flawless casting and kits with tons of air bubbles in the sphere and large rear section. It's also a challenging kit to build and using the right kind of support rod that *will not bend* is critical for the long "spine" of the spacecraft.

T.B.

Reply to
TB