air combat series

is $15 a good price for the do335 & p-47 set shipped? couldn't find a listing online.

Whose? If Monogram's 1/48 kits, I'd say yes. If Lindberg, kinda steep.

Bill Banaszak, MFE

Reply to
Mad-Modeller

mono...don't think lindberg did a twofer with those. weren't all the mono acs 2 ac??

Sounds like the 1/72 scale Revell series that paired an Axis plane with an Allied plane. Rob Gronovius Modern US armor at

Rob Gronovius

This kit is definitely Monogram. Around 1988, Monogram released four kits that included two previously released aircraft. Each kit had two "adversary" aircraft in 1/48 scale. As I recall the kits were:

1) MiG-15 & F-86 2) Do335 & P-47D (razorback) 3) Me-109E(?) & Hurricane 4) FW-190(?) & P-51B

Martin

Reply to
Martin

the 15-86 looks cool. the other two...eh. i have a partial 335, so i get the razorback as a bonus.

yeah, that's a fair price. Lessee, there was the Me-109 and Hurricane, the P-51 & Fw-190, the Do-335 & P-47 and the rare one F-86 and Mig-15. I bought tons of these in the early nineties thinking everyone would want one after they went out of production. Sadly, better kits came out and the Air Combat Series is an also ran. hth

The Keeper (of too much crap!)

Reply to
Keeper

figures, the mig and sabre are the only other one i want. whar was retail originally?

well, if i see them cheap. i've got about 6 190's, all 1/72 because it's not a fave. and i hate american fighters from ww2.

I wouldn't snub the Monogram Fw, or the P-51 for that matter. The 190 has multiple building possibilities and the requisite armament. The Hurri is a another decent kit with several options. The 109 isn't the best, I agree.

Bill Banaszak, MFE

Reply to
Mad-Modeller

I too have several of each of these kits. They are MONOGRAM! Not Revellogram for you trivia buffs. Originally they were supposed to be called the Time Life Epic of Flight series to tie in to Life's book series. Monogram did not go with the licensing fee hence they were called the Air Combat Series. They originally retailed for about 19.99 to 24.99.

I know there have been other kits released that knock the "value" but these should not be discounted out of hand. First off they all have raised panel lines. So what. The P-51B will never be released in this form again because Monogram irreversibly altered the mold when they took it and recessed the panel lines for the Pro-Modeler Mustang. Even the SSP re-pop of the original PA # kit in Ding Ho markings was the Pro-modeler kit because the original is gone forever. Next The P-47 Razorback is an accurate kit of this bird. If Hasegawa/Tamiya had not released theirs this would be the one. The DO335 has always been a sweet model IMO and you can build either single or dual cockpit versions. F-86 and MIG 15 are nice. I have never found the answer to whether the Monogram Mig 15 is more accurate than the Tamiyahhh. Place them side by side and the Monogram kit is huskier. The Hurricane is okay as is the FW. The only kit I would look definitely elsewhere for is the 109 and that is only my opinion because I think it looks undersized to be 1/48.

I have a sh@#load of decals for Mustangs and T-Bolts and while I will have a few Hasegawa and Tamiya kits the shelf dressing will be made up of these models.

Cheers, Max Bryant

Reply to
M Bryant

Revell had their kit pairings, too. "Conflict at Mach 2" (or was it "Mach 3?) had the Revell F-15A paired with their MiG-25, and the other was (again, I *think*) "Mideast Conflict," with the F-16A and MiG-21. All were in 1/48th scale, btw.

Don McIntyre Clarksville, TN

Reply to
Don McIntyre

i would like to find the mig-sabre. 2 of the few non spinny things i like.

Didn't know there was a connection to Time Life. Glad they didn't go with it. I'm also glad I didn't pay retail, I bought most of mine for around $10.

I concur, lovely kits to build and display. Most of the "contest crowd" no longer want them. I kept one of each to build and Monogram isn't done re-issuing these kits; give them another five years. Cheers,

The Keeper (of too much crap!)

Reply to
Keeper

if you see the jets cheap..... oh hell, let me know about all.

Next crapfest if February; I'll keep my eyes peeled for all but the Do335 & P-47 Cheers,

The Keeper (of too much crap!)

Reply to
Keeper

thanks, but if you see that set cheap, ie 10 bucks or under, well, you can't have too many 1./48 do 335's. hell, i'd like another half dozen lindberg 1/72. but people want 5 bucks and up...too much. anything on your list of must have keepah? (roots day)

Time to actually get something finished! Cheers,

The Keeper (of too much crap!)

Reply to
Keeper

actually build? what a strange idea.