Airbrushing w/ acrylics question/opinions

Hey folks,

Without starting some big thread, can I get a couple reasons why some airbrush acrylics using water and others alcohol as the thinning agent?

Thanx, Mick

Reply to
Uhu219

Cuz some paints are better thinned with water while others work best with alcohol.

Reply to
Serge D. Grun

And to further complicate, some (Polly Scale in particular) thin best with a proprietary thinner (a mix of alcohol, water and glycol in the case of Polly Scale). Like Serge said, it depends on the paint and its particular chemical components.

Mark Schynert

Reply to
Mark Schynert

OK, does anyone have the scoop?

Tamiya Acrylics (They have a thinner) Model Master Acrylics (Water or alcohol?) Hobby acrylics (Apple Barrel, etc.: Water) Polly Scale (They have a thinner)

Who can add to this?

Lance

Reply to
Lance Mertz

Use Tamiya thinner.

Use MM Acryl thinner.

Add Liquitex airbrush medium then distilled water.

Use MM Acryl thinner.

Reply to
Ron

They all spray quite nicely when you thin with Methanol/shellac thinner/methylated spirits. Respirator reccommended. Polly Scale states "isobutanol and DPNB" both of which are present in window washer fluid so that should make a great thinner for asll as well. hth The Keeper (of too much crap!)

Reply to
Keeper

Have you tried Car Screen Wash, I use it with Tamiya and Xtracrylix and have no problems at all, it will even clean the airbrush after. Just a couple of drops is needed.

I am in the UK and use Tesco's own @ 79p for a litre lasts a while I even use it to smooth milliput.

Dale Editor : RAF Model Research group SAM RAF Update Column

Reply to
Dale Clarke

I think we're talking the same basic product here. Window fluid/Car Screen Wash goes in the bottle under the bonnet/hood of your car, yes? Sadly, mine keeps freezing up on cold days; I'll put some vodka in it! Cheers,

The Keeper (of too much crap!)

Reply to
Keeper

I use windshield wash as a thinner for Apple Barrel paints. Tamiya I use denatured alchoal.

Dan Beavers

Reply to
Dan