Amazing WWII German FW-190 Recovery Off Norway

Sorry if this was brought up before, but it was just forwarded to me. Go to

for some real nice photos of the recovery operation. Regards,

-- John

Reply to
The Old Man

that should clean up nice. reminds me of the lakebed halibag.

Got past me.

Incredible, especially whern you think of what we'll go thru today to salvage one of these against how many nice examples were piled up and destroyed after VE Day.

WmB

Reply to
WmB

or drag out 5 started...

just rhein main could have supplied 100+ museums.

Thanks, John. I don't remember it being mentioned before.

Bill Banaszak, MFE Sr.

...must fight desire to build one...must fi......

Reply to
Mad-Modeller

Heh, there is a two-seater here that I started some time ago. It's sitting next to the 109H, also started.

Bill Banaszak, MFE Sr.

Reply to
Mad-Modeller

Not to mention the stuff discarded by the curator at the AFM. Aaarrrgh!

Bill Banaszak, MFE Sr.

Reply to
Mad-Modeller

It makes my heart sick when I think about when they scrapped lots of brand new B-17 bombers fresh off the assembly line at the end of WW2.

Reply to
wizzzer

Well, I can tell you NEVER donate anything to the Smithsonian.

We tried, really did (real pirate treasure in our family long time) They wanted it, but their ability to take care, and or actually retrain it was seriously lacking.... And their managerial skills seemed lacking.

An example here. Tom Deitz is (was last time I checked) curator of the museum's model collection. (also member of our astronomy club NOVAC) He took us (Wash Airline Society) on a tour of the *back rooms* where they keep models not on display. I have to tell ya they have thousands and thousands of models that will never get on display, collecting dust, and slowly decaying, jammed together in cases in back rooms. Nothing they can really do about it, but it is sadly frustrating.

Reply to
AM

I *swore* I wasn't going to buy any more models until my stash got reduced to 70. Sadly I caved and my online order for the new Eduard FW190A went in to Hannants about an hours ago...

The thing is, having seen the instruction leaflet and read a couple of reviews, I'm quite excited about the kit, so it will be built immediately rather than going in to the stash.

Reply to
Enzo Matrix

An English acquaintance of mine once told the story of watching brand new Hawker Typhoons coming off the production line at Gloster's Hucclecote plant to be taxied across the field to a scrapping facility. They had started scrapping before they had got around to terminating the production contract. What management!

Bill Shuey

Reply to
William H. Shuey

the u.s. gov sold brand new bombers for the value of the gas in their tanks. some guy got rich selling it through a chain of stations while burning out his customers motors with 100 octane and their lungs with lead.

It'll buff right out! ;-p

Reply to
Al Superczynski

easy to see where the fabric was/