b17c

anyone have pictures or descriptions of these ac's colors pre and wartime?i got the academy kit and wonder what the options are.

You're pretty much restricted to bare metal or the olive drab over gray scheme for USAAF aircraft - or the standard RAF day bomber scheme of dark green/dark earth over sky or gray for the 20 B-17Cs operated by the Brits as Fortress Is.

A google image search on "boeing B-17c" will turn up a dozen or so decent photos of the beast.

Cheers,

Reply to
Bill Shatzer

There's also the RAF Coastal Command scheme of sky undersides/ fuselage sides/ vertical tail with dark sea grey/ dark green camo upper surfaces.

flak monkey

i didn't have the boeing. but i had forgotten the fortress one. screw the rest, where do i find decals? and yes, i'm a britophile.

better and better. i do love the coasties. i'm still building the wimpey with the picket fence radar.

FWIW That color scheme should read Dark Slate Gray/Extra Dark Sea Gray over Sky. Note that the color Dark Slate Gray was actually a dark grayish Green color.

Bill Shuey

Reply to
William H. Shuey

E;

In that case, you might want to go looking for the Academy B-17E issue with the coastal command markings. The aircraft depicted in the decals with the kit was a double U-Boat killer.

Bill Shuey

Reply to
William H. Shuey

well, i already have the c.

I don't have the rest of this thread but the 'C' did go on missions for the RAF in the usual day bomber scheme - Dark Brown/Dark Green over Sky. If I repeated someone else's post, I'm sorry. Please don't hit me.

Bill Banaszak, MFE Sr. ;)

Reply to
Mad-Modeller