Badger 200 Newbie questions

I'm back to the hobby after a 30+ year layoff. I never had an airbrush as a kid so I thought I would treat myself so I bought a Badger Model
200 bottom feed.
Since I'm a total noob at this, the hobby shop lady told me to practice with water. Well I can't even get it to work with water =8-(
I'm using a new can of propellant not the one that came with the brush because it didn't seem to have enough pressure. Now I'm getting good pressure it seems but the water (alright..I confess, I tried it with a bit of paint and made a mess!) just seems to pool and drip around the tip...it never really atomizes =8-(
I'm pretty sure I have followed the instructions in the booklet properly. I know this is going to take some practice but I thought it would be less complicated than this
The other problem is that the parts list in the booklet is for the top feeder....the bottom feeder doesn't seem to have all of the parts in the picture. What I have is
needle ---> tip ---> cover
Does this sound right to you bottom-feeder owners out there or did I lose a small part taking the thing apart the first time?
I even had myself convinced that I didn't need the cover at one point.....that didn't work either...just blew air =8-0
This is definitely not a very glorious return to the hobby :)
Has anybody ever seen anything like this?
Thanks

The only thing I can suggest is you try checking that the needle is correctly positioned. In the airbrush moving the needle backwards increases the flow of paint. In single action brushes the needle is set and remains stationary while spraying and you wind the knurled nut at the back to move it in and out. However the smaller knurled nut holds the needle in position in the larger nut and can be used to adjust the needle position. So loosen the smaller nut and draw the needle back a few millimeters. Leave it loose and wind the larger nut in most of the way. Slide the needle forward until its point is visible sticking through the tip, be careful not to jam it in tight as you can split the tip. Tighten the smaller nut, locking the needle in place. Put some liquid in the bottle and check the air hole in the top of the bottle is clear. Start spraying and hold the air on while you wind the larger nut out. At some point you should get a spray from the tip. Other thing you can check is that your getting enough pressure from your air supply. There should be a screw on top of the cannister adaptor. Screwing it down increases the pressure. The venturi cap, the cone shape right at the front should have a little ring washer around the threaded stem where it screws into the body. If yours is missing contact your dealer. If it missing then air feeds back into the paint jar and will bubble through the liquid. I've had the earlier version of this model for 30 years and it always been a gentleman. Clean itcarefully and treat it gently and I'm sure you'll find it just as servicable. HTH
Les Pickstock wrote:

Les
Thank-you for your reply. Do you have the 200 NH? Mine kinda looks like a bullet on the end. I don't have any sort of O-ring in mine....it just looks like
needle ---> tip ---> cap
The picture of the 200 NH at http://www.badger-airbrush.com/airbrush.htm looks like mine except for the end (protective cover). The set I bought was 200-3 and the web site says there's a wrench, but the outside of my box does not list it and the instructions say you dont' need one...finger tight will do
Maybe I lost the O-ring when I did an 'experimental' dis-assembly when I took it out of the box =8-0
I'm a couple of keystrokes from just ordering an Iwata over the web but I'm not sure the shop will take it back now that I've run a bit of paint and some thinner through it. Too bad I didn't start out with water to get the feel for the setup. =8-(
Your description of the operation of the double-nut at the end is interesting. I have only been fiddling with the big one. The instructions don't really mention the little one.
So maybe it isn't a pressure issue after all....it's probably the damn O-ring. Maybe an exchange is in order.
Thanks for taking the time to help me
JH
Les....I figured it out....I'm such an idiot =8-(
The damn thing had the 'cap' on it....it was on fairly tight so that I thought it was one integrated unit. When I take the cap off it's a whole new ball game. Now it looks like the one on the web site. I still don't have an O-ring of any sort, but I bet I can get that straightened out on Monday.
So what I really have is
Needle ---> tip ---> end ----> cap .... remove cap to operate DOH!!!!
Thanks to everybody who replied to me offline. Sorry to be such a noob.
Cheers
Just a followup ....I just ran water through it and it's a 'happening thing'
Yay!!!!!!!!
Now I'm going to go experiment with paint =8-)
JH
ps...even works with the can that comes with the kit

Doh!!!! You don't think that the fact it didn't have a hole in the front end was a bit of a give away? The important thing is your'e up and running. Remember about cleaning it. Five minutes at the end of a session will save you an hour at the start of the next! Have a great time with it!
Like I said.....I'm an idiot =8-) The 'bullet' was confusing the hell out of me....since I had never seen one in operation and the parts list shows the cap.....but nothing tells you to remove it =8-(
I just did the underside and the top-side of the 1/72 Hurricane my sister gave me for my birthday. This is the kit that brought me back. She spent 15 bucks probably and I spent 200 to get all of the equipment I needed. I built a ton of models as a kid but I always rushed them and did a crappy job. I have a lot more patience in my old age.....and a functioning airbrush !!!!!
Top-side worked out better...I think I thinned out the paint (1:1 Humbrol) too much on the bottom-side. It was pooling a bit....but now that it's drying I can see panel lines again....phew. I went with a 3:1 paint to thinner for the brown and it worked great. Now I just have to figure out a masking strategy for the camouflage and lay down the green.
The frame on the canopy is going to be a challenge too....the frame lines are tiny in this scale =8-0 I'm used to 1/32 for planes.
This is so cool...I feel like a kid again; except for the burning desire to get'R done...I never would have waited 24 hours for paint to dry when I was a lad. And I spent a lot more than 5 minutes cleaning it when I was done =8-)
Cheers and Thanks again Les!