Band of Brothers monday night

History channel starts re-running it Monday at 9ET. Ask the man who's seen it if it's worth taping.

Reply to
Tom Cervo

Yes it is worth it!! Execellent show!

Reply to
Charles Rizzo

buy the dvd instead. its very distracting to have WWII interrupted by a car ad.

Craig

Reply to
Craig

and dvding.

could have done without shwimmer.

Probably close to what started this thread.

IMHO the best WWII movie from the viewpoint of the American infantryman.

Loved the interviews with actual survivors. Some of their comments could bring tears to your eyes, as could parts of the film. Incredible use of period vehicles, aircraft, etc.

Tom

Reply to
Maiesm72

And just where were all those vehicles when Patton and Battle of the Bulge were made?

Craig

Reply to
Craig

isn't most cgi?

e wrote

I don't think so - every German unit seemed to have the same mix of tanks, half tracks and Hetzers... (this is purely subjective, of course; I didn't actually count...)

Reply to
Rik Shepherd

Through my job, I've had the pleasure of talking with several veterans of both the 502nd (my cousin's regiment) and the 506th PIRs. I'm not a big fan of him (or of the "Friends" show). However, giving him his due, the men who actually knew and served with Sobel seem to think David Schwimmer's portrayal was just about spot-on.

"The world would be a much simpler place if every one could pick and choose their obligations, but we can't and we shouldn't." Major Charles W. Whittlesey

Reply to
Bill Woodier

Believe it or not, I never watched Friends, so it didn't jar. Having seen Damian Lewis before, it jarred a little seeing him with an American accent--he's English.

Reply to
Tom Cervo

While I was watching BoB I couldn't help but think Schwimmer wasn't acting. I've heard some things about him that paint a not so nice-guy image of him.

WmB

WmB

that would make sense for cgi. set up the objects and just change details. remember, they raise the dead and people believe.

well, maybe he can act after all. whoda thunkit?

Sweeden, apparently. They used a variation on the Panzer III post-war.

Wulf

Reply to
Wulf Corbett

the swedes bought tirpitz armor sections and use them for tank range practice to this day.

There's a certain irony to the idea that Sweden and Switzerland have the best-preserved tanks from WW2.

Wulf

Reply to
Wulf Corbett

Ron wrote

I got really mad when I was a kid, because my dad wouldn't stop for photographs when we passed a layby with three or four of those. Just because it was the other side of a busy dual carriageway and we couldn't change direction for miles...

Reply to
Rik Shepherd

For what it's worth, friends of John Wayne thought he was awful surly while he was making "The Searchers". He just got into character and didn't get out for the duration.

Reply to
Tom Cervo