Band of Brothers monday night

The local museum got an M-18 from the former Yugoslavia--a lot of old armor may have been left sitting around there. Look at the milage that the Isrealis got from the Sherman.

Reply to
Tom Cervo

Was it just my lack of understanding about artillery or were the pieces that they clobbered after D-Day awfully small to be pounding the beaches?

Tom

Reply to
Maiesm72

snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (Tom Cervo) wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@mb-m27.aol.com:

It was a surprised to me as well, however, the was in a two-part UK series called "Warriors" about an armoured infantry unit peacekeeping in the Balkans -- excelent viewing.

Personally I think he did a great job of his role in BoB.

Cheers.

Reply to
Andrew Fraser

Why wouhd the Swedes need to practice firing armor rounds at anythig? ;~)

"The world would be a much simpler place if every one could pick and choose their obligations, but we can't and we shouldn't." Major Charles W. Whittlesey

Reply to
Bill Woodier

Those were 88's for the most part I do believe. The actual guns used in the filming were offered for sale in a gun newspaper I get. The 88's were towed behind vehicles and came in several different configs. They were capable of very accurate fire for several miles.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

As far as Allied soft-skins I didn't see one mistake - there weren't any M38 or M38A1 or M151s in evidence, for instance, and no post-war deuces or Dodges. There were plenty of Shermans shown - they may not be the right variants (I don't know all the Sherman variants) but they weren't modeled by more modern tanks. I don't think there was a need for CGI as far as vehicles. There are plenty of restored examples in existence.

The German stuff seemed to be a bit more hodge-podge but you never see it really close up except for the guns at the emplacements the paratroopers assault.

One thing I question is the number of Thompsons which the paratroopers carry. Were they in reality that common?

John Hairell

Reply to
John Hairell

FWIW A couple of months ago there was a news bit on TV showing some place in Iraq and there was a burned out Sherman sitting by the side of the road. The story of how far and how long the road traveled by the Sherman is would probably surprise us all.

Bill Shuey

Reply to
William H. Shuey

keep some of the youth out of trouble a few months a year.

did german stuff get more hodge podge starting in 44?

OK....I can accept that. ;~)

"The world would be a much simpler place if every one could pick and choose their obligations, but we can't and we shouldn't." Major Charles W. Whittlesey

Reply to
Bill Woodier

"Jeff" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com:

I know wher you saw that, I get it, too. I thought they wre 75s or 105s. I have read htat the "88" took one mythic proportions and everything became an "88". My feeling is that the correct infantry support gun caliber for med guns is 75 or 105.

Reply to
Gray Ghost

In BoB after the pieces are destroyed the Lt reports that they were

105's and not 88's. The 88 did become quite the bogeyman artty piece in Allied minds due to the fact that they could ruin a tankers day quick. As far as I know the 88 was a direct fire weapon and not so much an indirect weapon as a howitzer.

Mike G

Reply to
mikeg
[SNIP]
[SNIP]

The "making of" (on the DVD set) showed one scene with CGI -- the scene towards the end with children standing up over the edge of an overpass to see all of the vehicles rumbling by. I think it was inserted to recreate a photo published in of Ambroses books.

The making of also (very brefly) looked at the modifications made to British FV432's (APCs) to recreate some of th German armour. The changes mentioned were quite extensive including lengthening the hull of at least one vehicle.

Reply to
Andrew Fraser

I meant that the restored vehicles used for the shooting of "Band of Brothers" varied more as far as correctness as opposed o the Allied vehicles used. There are many more Allied vehicles in existence than German vehicles.

John Hairell

Reply to
John Hairell

i understand, but didn't german units start getting odd mixes later in the war as production suffered?

(Extraneous stuff snipped) ? ? ? ?

Well, your vocabulary seems a bit narrow, much like an adolescent. You also sound like you are in desparate need of an anger management program. Oh, and I would suggest easing up on the caffine as well.

By the way, you could access some of those pay-type adult channels and get all the profanity, T and A you want........once you're old enough. :~p

Go away, troll.

"The world would be a much simpler place if every one could pick and choose their obligations, but we can't and we shouldn't." Major Charles W. Whittlesey

Reply to
Bill Woodier

[stuff snipped]

Yes, I think so.