Battle 360 on the History Channel

=A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 Bruce

rden =A0 =A0Austin, TX.

The USS Hornet is having $$$ problems in Alameda, CA. Never got the attendance they planned on. I've only gone there once. It's a bitch to get to which is probably why I never got around to it. Great exhibit but you can really see how beat up the ship is. No money to keep it looking good.

Craig

Reply to
crw59

wilshak typed out:

across the roof, and on the trunk lid, and the Mustang 350 white > stripes

Hey, mine was red too. Mine was unusual because it was built in April '69 and had no chrome strips around the side window frames. Most do. Later when the red was fading my father paid for a paint job from my cousin's shop. It ended up a nice Dodge Aspen red. I was told (but who knows?) that it was shipped south after I traded it in on the Omni. It would have been worth it to fix the tranny problem compared to the aggravation the Omni caused me. I did get a picture of mine and made a model one too.

Bill Banaszak, MFE Sr.

Reply to
Mad-Modeller

CCBlack wrote: : : To me ... silting is a minor problem when it comes to preserving a : historic ship. : My understanding is that silting helps with the hull deterioration, which is an additional expense that is not really appreciated. :-) : : I'm well aware of the problems with removing the : Intrepid from it's dock in New York for it's renovation project. But : they eventually got it ' unstuck '. Heck ... it had been sitting : there for 25 years. Were there any plans to move the Alabama or the : Texas around ? : Texas was moved several years ago to patch, errr, 'thin' spots on her hull. Once the hull was ultrasounded, and the thinnest areas patched, she was moved back to her 'pond'. : : I noticed that a Hurricane didn't have any problem : tilting the Alabama on it's side with all that silting going on. =] : That is my understanding as well, but I have not visited her since Katrina & Rita came through. I hear they made a real mess of the aircraft pavillion as well. : : I have visited all those ships/memorials as well. I was surprised at : the size of the Texas. She is more like cruiser size compared to : later Battleships. : : What's the issue with the ' silting ' around the Battleship Texas ? : When I visited the ship it didn't seem like it needed to be moved : anywhere anytime soon. What difference would it make if it was on a : platform ? : My understanding is that it would make it easier to maintain the ship. Of course, raising the money to put her on a platform is not easily done, so the cycle continues. :-/

Bruce

Reply to
Bruce Burden

on 2/19/2008 1:11 PM snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.net said the following:

Check out the USS Intrepid site. They are offering rides on it when it returns from overhaul and restoration. It went into drydock in Bayonne, NJ in April 2007, then completed restoration at Bedloe's Island (Statue of Liberty). It is due back at its Manhatten pier in September 28th.

the securing of the Intrepid was due to one man.

willshak

Ahh ... I see now. I wasn't aware that silting did that. The U.S.S. Drum ( at the Alabama museum ) has some real bad rusting/deterioration towards the rear hull. The boat used to sit in the water. It's up on dry land now. ( I wonder how they moved it ? )

I was talking to one of the maintenance people there one day, and he said they were trying to secure some donated steel to repair the Drum.

Oh yes. Real sad. Most of the aircraft has some serious damage. Basically they were sloshing around in the surf banging into each other in the pavilion ( during the storm ). Last time I visited they had moved all the aircraft outside and were beginning the repair process.

The Alabama was leaning to one side ( about 13 degrees list ) after the storm. Last time I visited they had taken out the list ( I think by pumping out some of the sand/silt from one side ) and the ship was back to normal tours. Basically it's the aircraft that took a beating. Of course the big B-52 hardly had a scratch.

Chris

Reply to
CCBlack

WmB wrote: : : Here in NC they're trying to raise 10 mil to get the USS North Carolina up : to Norfolk for repairs. : : : I always thought the state had purchased the old Showboat outright, but she : is in fact still the property of the USN. They inspect her on a regular : basis (this much I knew), and if she's not being taken care of they can repo : her. : I am not sure that the state would be any more benevolent than the USN is. I understand your point about "you're not taking care of her, so we will scrap/scuttle her!" - that is SO much better, how?

But, then, what do you expect from an organization that spends billions to build a floating airfield, and put 40 year old designs on it? For a very tiny fraction of the cost of those oversize toys, they could fund the maintenance of their battleships. : : BB-55 supplied hardware for the refit and supply program needed in getting : the Iowas back to sea in the 80s. Would have been pretty hard to do if she : had been cut into railroad spikes had the backward thinkers had their say. : Yeah, but, what has it done for them today? As long as it is a budget item on some tiny-brains spreadsheet, it will be in danger, sadly.

Bruce

Reply to
Bruce Burden