Beginner

Beginner Can any one tell me where to find a wooden model that would be a good one to start modeling with? I have done finish work all my life but due to a recent accident I am now confined to a chair. I have always wanted to build wooden ships and now I am going crazy sitting in this dam chair.Thanks for any help you can give me.

Reply to
no name

Look here:

...and just choose something that suits your skills.

Reply to
Rufus

I strongly suggest the MIdwest brand kits. They are super introductions to wooden ship modeling. They range from rowboats to two masted fishing or cruising boats. Many hobby shops carry them, as to many of the mail order/internet firms that deal in wooden model ships.

They do not have things like HMS Victory or clipper ships in the line, but you should not be starting with something like that anyway. Midwest picks subjects that a novice can complete, and learn a lot doing it. Their instruction manuals are multiple pages and very detailed.

Reply to
Don Stauffer in Minnesota

Thanks Don for the information I have ordered a skiff to start on. Can you recommend some basic tools and adhesives and place to buy them. Thanks Frank

Reply to
no name

Frank:

John Kopf posts this item regularly: should be all the leads you need!

---------- This is the POINTER to the Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) on ship modeling. The FAQ itself is longer posted (since September,

2001); only the HTML version is available, at:
*This* POINTER is posted weekly. It goes to: news:rec.models.scale, news:rec.models.rc.water, news:news.answers and news:rec.answers .

Also HIGHLY recommended is the Ship Modeling Email List Server (essentially an e-mail discussion group). To subscribe, go to:

...and follow the instructions there.

The following three sites are especially useful to ship modelers!

"The Maritime History Virtual Archives": a GREAT!!! (and one of the first!) WWW location, maintained by Lars Bruzelius (in Upsala, Sweden):

.

"The Information Seaway" (Clay Feldman's Seaways' Ships in Scale page) is at:

.

The Nautical Research Guild site is at:

.

JK