best way to transfer a large model 1500km

Im sober now, dont feel any better but at least my spelling has improved....

At the rate im working on the 32nd Trump Mig21 F13 it will be ready by next weekend and its going to sit in my local model shop until i leave and a guy with a camera is gonna take some shots, will pst them when done.

I need to pack the kit, i guess without the very dangly probes etc until i arrive, but i need to make is v secure with no movement in my hand luggage but it must be visable incase inspected. Im gonna make a base but maybe not glue it on.

How would a couple of clamps, one on each wing, fixed to a thick cardboard box, and maybe the nose strapped with tamiya masking tape taught to the box. and with the u/c wheels etc not touching the bottom.

any advice greatly app. ta

Reply to
Jules

My suggestion is along the same lines as what you're saying with the cardboard, but us the stiff styrofoam instead. You can go to most Do-It-Yourself home stores and by sheets of it about half an inch thick or so and cut it up to make a stand in side of a box. With Elmers glue and duct tape you'd be able to hold it nice and tight and build the 'stand' so that it wedges inside of another carboard box.

Okay, that may be a bit confusing, but it's hard to explain... :)

Of course, the absolute best way to transport it is inside the kit box... UNBUILT. *yeah, everybody's gotta be a smart*ss*

-andy

Reply to
Drew Hill

I got a model car once from a guy using styrofoam held together with white glue and toothpicks. It made a very sturdy holding device.

Bill Banaszak, MFE Sr.

Reply to
Mad-Modeller

how about....stiff styrofoam box, but i try to find one just smaller than the wingspan, then cut some slots, now thinking about that i will have to cut it in 2 and them make the box rigid again, then a normal box surround that with foam bits to absorb movement.

Reply to
Jules

Seen that on 72nd and small 48th, i cant see it working on a heavy 32nd son of a bitch..well maybe with a bit of thought.

By the way Bill, 26th of Apr, im off to Berlin to make my way to Niesky for her fathers birthday so i can give it him on that day, 1st Mai, i was due to go in mid may but changed my flights....im also gonna go and fight for the woman i love, of what little fight is left in me.

Its my BD on the 29th of Apr, but i never celebrate it, im just hoping they dont know the date but i think Netty would have told them.

I sprayed a few thin coats of silver a few days ago over the primer, then last night i added the green, Revell 57 enamel IIRC looked the closest with a hint of light braun. i was going to try and scrape off the green to show the silver underneath as here.

But i think its wayyyyy too much silver to scrape off.

Hope to get my fone working again midweek, so will call you then if it is buddy

Reply to
Jules

If you can find a large enough "slab" of styrofoam; this method would probably suffice, if using something like bamboo skewers to "pin" the model in place. Just place it upside down (as you mentioned), with the model supported by strategically placed blocks of soft foam padding. The important thing, is that once you get it secured, do *not* pour styrofoam peanuts, etc., around it, as these will just tend to break off fragile things such as antennae.

Reply to
Greg Heilers

Mid-week is fine if you get me before I get on this thing. :] Next time you're up on a castle top get me a picture of just the landscape. That countryside behind your Deutsche Familie looks gorgeous!

Bill Banaszak, MFE Sr.

Reply to
Mad-Modeller

thanks, will try a dry run.

Reply to
Jules

Festung Konigstein

Jules

Jules, whatever it is best of luck . . . it's the only thing really worth fighting for

P.S. hope the mig makes it there in one piece, if you're carrying it on and no idiot bumps the box it should be right

Andrew

Reply to
Andrew

Yeah but sometimes things dont work out. At my age i should know better

Well the time i took the 72nd Mig last year, the German coach co. tried to burn me alive and it survived.....Just hope this one does!!!

Reply to
Jules

Thanks for those^. The mini-history outline is interesting.

Bill Banaszak, MFE Sr.

Reply to
Mad-Modeller

The water well was pretty amazing to say how deep it went etc.

just gone 4am here, couldnt sleep so spent a hour or so on the Mig, added most of the weathering effect. I wasnt sure how best to do it in 32nd but used a few teqniques i thought of, seemed to look ok, now i need it to harden, add a coat of Kleer then weather it down.

Reply to
Jules

yeah, they do a demo at the top where they drop water down, video cameras show you just how long it takes to hit the bottom.

Reply to
Jules