Osprey MV-22

Got the new Popular Science today (April 06 issue). There was a 2 page blurb on the MV-22. Is the Italeri Ospery a reasonable representation
of this aircraft? Also, there was a nice 2 page color picture of the cockpit for the Airbus A380. All in all, it is one of Popular Science better offerings with several other interesting items........

Osprey = Marine killer. As in - you put Marines in it, the Osprey takes off, the Osprey crashes and burns, no survivors.

You might want to do a little more research before you post such inanities and expose your ignorance of complex technical matters to the entire world.
Jack
Von Fourche wrote:

    Well, doesn't THAT tell you a lot about the model. Thanks so much for the review...
Frank Kranick
On Tue, 14 Mar 2006 02:37:08 GMT, "Von Fourche"

You can't be serious. Do you really think that the Marine Corps would risk its most precious asset in an inferior transport aircraft? Do you think it would be better to trust Marines' lives to the aging CH-46 fleet instead?

My "From" address is munged - use 'modeleral (at) swbell (dot) net' to respond
Al Superczynski wrote:

Dear God no! The CH-46 is the scariest piece of shit I've ever had the misfortune to fly in. When I got on board the aircraft, there were large pools of oil on the deck of the cargo bay. I couldn't tell whether it was leaked hydraulic fluid or leaked engine oil. Turns out it was a mixture of both. I was quite concerned and I expressed those concerns to the loadmaster. He simply opened a new bag of chickenshit and cleaned up the mess with it.
I continued to express my concern and was assured that everything was perfectly normal. He showed me a stock of cans of engine oil and hyd fluid and told me "we'll fill it up again at the next stop". It seems that as long as the crew can see that it is leaking, they are reasonably happy. Once it stops leaking, they become concerned because then it is empty.
Thankfully the flight only lasted 20 minutes and I made the return flight in a Puma.
--
Enzo

I wear the cheese. It does not wear me.

A statement true even of the marvels created by God's own hand, including his greatest - the woman. Why the only opening on mine that doesn't leak is her ears; and that's because she chatters so much they're pulling vaccum off her throat most of the time. ;-)
WmB
The Collector wrote:

That's true. We used to say that about the Harrier. But at least with the Harrier we could get it into a condition where it was leak free *before* the mission, even if it did a wonderful impersonation of a sieve after getting its wheels back on the deck.
--
Enzo

I wear the cheese. It does not wear me.

As A former USAF Crew Chief on F-4Es if you ever saw your jet with out numerous puddles of oil, hydraulic fluid or fuel you had better start servicing all your systems
Von Fourche wrote:

Most military aircraft are less safe than civil ones. The higher the performance, or the more cutting the advance, the higher the fatality rate. When AV-8B was in its early years they crashed a lot of them, and got the same kind of press- nearly cancelled the program.
F-4 had a bad safety record for a number of years. Remember the 104 crashes in Europe?
The V-22 is a big advance in technology, and the crash rate doesn't surprise me.
On Tue, 14 Mar 2006 08:41:02 -0600, Don Stauffer wrote:

There were very few aircraft, in any nation's history, that did *not* suffer a series of tragedies in its "testing period". The B-17 is a prime example. The prototype found its demise in a fiery, fatal crash. It's first "real" field deployment, (with the British) was pretty much a disaster.
--

Greg Heilers
I will have to try and pick that one up some time this week. The Osprey or atleast the idea and concept of the VTOL has been around for quite some time now.
cyberborg 4000 wrote:

My cousin lovingly calls it a 'steady paycheck'. ;)
Bill Banaszak, MFE Sr.
The Army's first aviator, Thomas Selfridge, died in the crash of a wright biplane in 1908, the first man killed in a powered heavier than air flying machine, and also the first casualty in military aviation. http://www.arlingtoncemetery.net/thomaset.htm
Hap Arnold, one of the Army's first aviators almost gave up flying after his first major crash flying a wright machine. He was taught how to fly by the wrights, and eventually they helped ease him back into flying. Dozens of army pilots died in the abortive air mail fiasco of the 30's Dick Bong, america's WWII ace of aces died testing a YP-80 Boeing test pilot Eddie Allen died testing early B-29's and Glen Edwards died flying the YB-49 flying wing.
Military aviation by it's nature is hazardous. Military test aviation even more so.
Osprey is unlikly to replace too many helicopters because of the cost/benefit ratio. It will replace some but since its new technologies allow for new operational capabilities, it will be used in a different role than most helicopters.
MV-22 40.1M unit cost H-60 5.9M unit cost
On Tue, 14 Mar 2006 23:27:25 -0600, Jeff Barringer

Well, its main use will be to move Marines to, from and around the battlefield, replacing the CH-46 in that role.

It's not meant to replace the H-60 which is predominantly an Army aircraft anyway.

My "From" address is munged - use 'modeleral (at) swbell (dot) net' to respond
Al Superczynski wrote:

Exactly, initially it will be replacing a limited number of airframes but mark my words over time its new capabilities will allow for new mission profiles not envisioned at the outset, profiles that only Osprey can perform because of its unique features and abilities. I suspect that in time its maintenance costs may cause the marines to rethink their deployment for such pedestrian tasks and it may revert back to the less expensive helicopter for some of the tasks it currently envisions for Osprey. I could be wrong.

Agreed, I was just using H-60 as an "average" cost for a "basic" military helicopter.
I don't think too many guys making helicopters have much to fear from Osprey. Now its follow on, who knows.
On Wed, 15 Mar 2006 18:01:01 -0600, Jeff Barringer

Given budget constraints I don't see many more than the already-projected buy unless foreign sales kick in.

I'd hardly call the transport of combat troops 'pedestrian'.

Maybe, but no mere helicopter has the range, speed, and payload capability of the Osprey given the size of the ships it will be flying from.

As I mentioned above, the Osprey is much more than a mere helicopter.

I wonder if the autogyro folks ever felt that way about those new-fangled helicopters... ;-p

My "From" address is munged - use 'modeleral (at) swbell (dot) net' to respond
snip

I'm amazed that the Osprey is that cheap. As complex as it is, I would think it would cost far more than 40.1M. What a deal! Give me 2 please.
Doug Wagner
Doug Wagner wrote:

Its not the cost of the razor but the blades where they get you.
cyberborg 4000 wrote:

Hi, My son flies these things and also instructs. He says they are safe, He is writing operational stuff now, for deployment.
TLM