CH-37 Mohave/Mojave - any kits 1/48 or bigger?

I was thumbing thru a book a little while ago and came across a pick of one downed in Vietnam. I was aware of the type, but just never considered that it might have had enough service life to have had some appreciable service in Vietnam. The CH-37 from what I understand was a big troop transporting mutha that sported twin twin R-2800 radials on outboard sponsons. The rotary system ssupposedly adapted for use on the CH-53 design. It would make for one helluva interesting build.

TO MRC and OTHERS: Always looking for obscure Cold War US helos in 1/48 or

1/32-35 scale. If the CH-37 hasn't seen the light of day in styrene kit form, please add it to the current wishlist of kits for release some day.

WmB

Reply to
WmB

As far as I know, the only kit available of the Mojave is the OLD airmodel vac kit in 1/72 scale. I have one, and it's as absolutley bare bones as a vac form can get. I've also been told by other vac builders that it's a serious dog. I'm saving it for when I'm better at vacs, it requires the additional parts such as the rotors and hub from the CH-53 and the tail rotor from the CH-54, both of which I'm looking for extras... Mine also has no clear vac parts, so the wiindows will have to be painted gloss black or SERIOUS played with somehow.

Good luck in finding one, they do pop up on ebay on rare occaisions, usually going in the $30 range. I myself would LOVE to see even an amodel or MPM injection molded kit of this bird. Kinda like I've got my F2Y1 Seadart. I bought the vac kit and then the Mach2 kit so I could build one air frame... :)

Hope this helps!

-andy

Reply to
Drew Hill

That's what I was afraid of. Oh well, I'll keep dreaming someone will cut one in 1/48th someday - or really dream big and wish for a 1/35 MRC version.

In the meantime I'm going to do a little reading on just what kind of service that crazy looking chopper gave in Vietnam and elsewhere.

WmB

Reply to
WmB

FWIW, the April 2001 issue of FineScale Modeler showcases Nicholas Poncini's build of this kit. Spectacular.

Curt

Reply to
Curt

ISTR it used a 5 blade rotor, not 6 like the CH-53. Also, the Navy used a version that mounted a big radome under the nose. Also, IIRC, MPM or Special Hobby has announced a 1/72 one for the last couple of years.

Reply to
frank

Also, I think you can still order it direct from Airmodel in Germany pretty reasonably.

Reply to
frank

At first glance I thought the issue you cited was April 2006 and I began to think I had stepped into one of those synchronicty things I've sometimes heard about and sometimes seen.

WmB

Reply to
WmB

Could be, don't know much about the bird's design other than the advent of the turboshaft engine doomed it to a short life. Well the good news is

1/72nd is God's scale - the bad news is I'm not him and all of my helos are 1/48 and 1/35. ;-)

Settling in for a long wait I suppose.

WmB

Reply to
WmB