"Borrow" the kids Legos

That's what I did years back to use them for mold walls in resin casting. They don't leak and the latex peels right off when cured.

Now that I can't do resin casting any more (chemical contamination) and the kids are grown up and moved out I found another use for them. Jigs for assembling and painting models. Really useful for getting the right sit for undercarriages and angles for wings, especially parasol and biplanes. No more shaking fingers for that tiny rigging job.

Cheap, too. I saw a set of 400 pieces for $5.99 at Toys R' Us the other day.

Tom

Reply to
Maiesm72

must have been mislabeled. them suckers are expensive!

I know. Usually twice that price. It was in a bin of closeouts and markdowns.

Tom

Reply to
Maiesm72

lucky dog. i keep my eyes out at thrift store. also for erector sets. they make good jigs and are damned usefull in pc's. those holey bars make dandy add on drive holders.

I used to use my old 'Skyline' building set pieces for tail props until I found out how valuable some consider them.

Bill Banaszak, MFE

Reply to
Bill Banaszak

i don't remember those. what are they?

They consisted of white plastic panels with slotted ends that slid into verticals built of individual 'blocks'. The blocks were formed with cruciform 'pegs' that fit into the undersides of the block above. Roof panels were made of something like thin mylar with a checkerboard pattern printed on them. Enough parts and one could build a skyscraper. Somewhere in downtown Scranton, Pa. is a real building that looks like it were built of these. I have a photo of it somewhere in my collection. I was thinking of using it as a prototype for a layout building.

Bill Banaszak, MFE

Reply to
Bill Banaszak

yes, the fog dissipated and i remember using those for an art class to build a cantlivered house model. they were cool.

Sounds similar to the Kenner Girder & Panel sets; Turnpike too? Looks like Lego is the last man standing.

Cheers,

The Keeper (of too much crap)

Reply to
Keeper

As of a few years ago somebody in Canada was still pumping out the old Kenner sets. I'd have to wallow through my resources to come up with a name. I still have my American bricks, too - the wooden ones!

Bill Banaszak, MFE

Reply to
Bill Banaszak

do they still make lincoln logs?

Sort of, but the're cheesy. The logs are trimmed dowels, cut round and joints cut in the ends. The roof forms are plastic. My brother (now 72) had a set that I played with where the logs were squared off, and you built the roof up with smaller and smaller side pieces. I'd love to see that kid of set again, but you probably won't; too labor-intensive to make.

The Old Timer

i remember those. another item for the thrif/garag/yahd sales grabs.

"American Logs" and they came in cylindrical card cans with stamped tinplate bottoms and tops. I had the cans until a few years ago when thy fell victim to mould because of the area they were stored in. I had very few "Lincoln" logs myself but picked up some at a flea market back when my son was of the age to use them. They came in a rectangular-sectioned can. I also have some Disney "Frontierland" logs. They came with roof planks exactly like the American logs but the logs couldn't interchange. I've seen the 'new' Lincoln Logs for sale in stores and I wouldn't touch them. They've been made so 'safe' as to be useless. Same as Tinkertoys although they're fairly dangerous because of the lousy quality of the wood. I bought my daughter a set but they were so bad nothing would hold together. She preferred my antique set. Even after 30+ years they still held together. I attribute that to the maple wood they were made of. Glad I was a kid when I was!

Bill Banaszak, MFE

Reply to
Bill Banaszak

i remember the dizzy sets. a friend had them and we tried to combine with my lincolns.. i agree about the when. thanks to my mom, i still have my teddy bear, wooden train set, blocks and my first chen set to return to when i reach my dotage next week.

Umm, yes...well...both of my bears are in existence and my sock monkey as well. The blocks are downstairs and they were a big help at figuring out that spelling stuff. Nothing like amazing the parentii with the big words one could make. Fortunately I avoided the ones that were questionable...

Bill Banaszak, MFE

Reply to
Bill Banaszak

not me! i wanted away fro the black widows and back to easy school, so i spelled f*ck about 50 times for sister mary elephant. right back to joe mc carthy elementary.

Oh, you mean 'penguins'! ;) I spent my whole school career in public schools. Those women bother me. They're not 'normal', whatever that is. Actually I got Mom in trouble because I could read before I got to Kindergarten. The district thought she was pushing me. It also bugged the teacher because at story time I could read the text when she showed the illustrations. "Teacher, that's not what it says!" ;)

Bill Banaszak, MFE

Reply to
Bill Banaszak

I can relate. During my first five grades in school, I would read through the

Reply to
Edwin Ross Quantrall

Hey, watch how you talk about the "good sisters" (8-P). Some weren't too bad, some are even well-meaning and caring. Trouble is at MY school, I never saw any of that kind. Our school had, from what I was later told, about a 40% bug-out rate (leaving the church altogether), attributable directly to the treatment at the hands of some of these caring women. I still get nightmares.

Professionals always get pushed out of shape when an "amatuer" does their job as good or better than they do.

The Old Timer