Breguet Atlantic Colors?

OK- I can't find my copy of Dave Klaus' color guide (it's in a box somewhere, I know it is) and I'm going to be down near an actual hobby store this weekend so I can actually buy paint. What are the FS numbers for the exterior colors on the RoG Atlantic?

Reply to
Jim Atkins

"Jim Atkins" schreef in bericht news:FZOdnTyCXqbtXwTdRVn snipped-for-privacy@adelphia.com...

These are the numbers I have seen so far for the top grey of the Atlantic; FS36270, FS 36400, FS 16440, FS 25189, FS 15237, FS 35237 and FS 16270. Take your pick..

Reply to
Bassie Adriaensen

AFAIA German Atlantics were in Medium Sea Gray (BS 687) on top and = white below.=20

Medium Sea Grey is available in most paint ranges.=20

Maybe someone else could supply more info.

Andy

Reply to
Andy Macrae

Oops!! That should be BS:637!

Andy

Medium Sea Grey is available in most paint ranges.=20

Maybe someone else could supply more info.

Andy

Reply to
Andy Macrae

We went round this a few months ago: search r.m.s on google.groups for "Breguet Atlantic colours".

Scale Aircraft Modelling Vol 24 No12, February 2003 features the Atlantic in Aircraft in Detail. The topside grey is described as Gris Bleu Clair. All Atlantiques were built in Toulouse and seem to have been finished uniformly on delivery, in a French grey.

Also in that SAM is an article by Tony O'Toole describing a buildup of a test shot of the Atlantic. He used a Model Art decal sheet, which gave FS15237 (Humbrol 145, Xtracolor 126) as the correct shade of grey. Other useful details are that the undercarriage is metallic silver and the bomb bay and wheel well interiors are Chamois, which he approximated with RAF Light Stone, Xtracolor X029, but which also seems to be available directly as Xtracolor X379.

Reply to
Alan Dicey

We have a piece of Dutch Atlantic 257 (ditched and written off) in our lab, and I checked the colors. There is no straight FS match, but it is halfway between 26270 and 25237. As far as I can estalish, this particular aircraft crashed while still in its original factory colors, witnessed by the Louis Breguet signature on the tail. I've understood Medium Sea Grey was used in repaints. But at least you now have the original factory color.

Rob

My models:

Me 163B site:

Rob de Bie

I did some more research, and there is one more complicating factor. It seems the factory used Gris Blue Clair on the first four Dutch Atlantics (the Aeronavale Atlantic color), and *possibly* Medium Sea Grey on the remainder, which is the color that was specified by NATO for anti-submarine aircraft.

I still haven't found a reliable FS number for Gris Blue Clair, so I can't say whether my match of Atlantic 257 (halfway between 26270 and 25237) is Gris Blue Clair or Medium Sea Grey!

Rob

My models:

Me 163B site:

Rob de Bie

Jim Atkins a couché sur son écran :

If you are looking for a complete walkaround of this bird, you can find one one my website.

Reply to
Flying Frog

Very nice! Your site has grown well.

Perhaps you could help to solve a big question we (Dutch modelers) have with Atlantic color. Our first four Atlantics were diverted from the Aeronavale and were painted in Gris Bleu Clair. Are there official paint chips for this color?

Rob My models:

Me 163B site:

Rob de Bie

Rob de Bie a utilisé son clavier pour écrire :

Thanks Rob ;) I think you will be very surprised very soon : the 4th version will be online during June and it will be completely different from the actual version, with a lot of surprises...

Hummmm... No, I don't know any chart for your Dutch first Atlantic... but I maybe can help you. A friend of mine has maybe the information you need. I will contact him.

regards

Reply to
Flying Frog

Ok Rob, There are the informations you need :

Atlantic of Kon Marine received a 2 tones camo (painted directly in factory before delivery according to the specifications of the customer):

Superior surfaces in lichtblauwgrijs MLD 155 Lower surfaces in wit MLD 101

The MLD 155 gets closer to Humbrol H27 (I think with un drop of lught blue, but in depence the photos seen), the MLD 101 is a clear white.

If you want to find photos on the net, Atlantic was called BREGUET Breguet SP-13A in Netherlands...

Special thanks to my friend Herve Brun

for these informations !

Cheers

Reply to
Flying Frog

I just called Herve for the good colors and here is his answer :

Yes, I agree with you. You can use Humbrol H27 and add light blue (H87 would be ok) and a little drop of white and to increase the proportion of these colours in the mixture proportionally in the weathering you want.

I hope this help

Cheers

Reply to
Flying Frog

Hi Chris.

Thanks for your information! But the situation is a bit more complicated. The Dutch navy indeed ordered the Atlantics in the colors you mention (great research!), but the first four we received were painted in Aeronavale colors, the Gris Bleu Clair I mentioned. We have a piece of wreckage of serial number 257, which was painted in the official color MLD

155, and it matches halfway between FS 26270 and FS 25237. But we don't know what color Gris Bleu Clair exactly is. I hoped the French military had some sort of paint chip card, like the Federal Standard for the US, and RAL for the Germans.

Rob

My models:

Me 163B site:

Rob de Bie