"Burned iron" color

Hi All, How can I create "burned iron" paint by mixing some other paints. I guess flat black and metallic are essential components. Anything else?

Reply to
vtd

take a look at pics of what you are trying to duplicate...heated metals often have a blue,purple or brown tint,so add those colors where appropriate.

Reply to
Eyeball2002308

Testors makes a burnt metal and burnt iron paints for an airbrush. Try them. They are very good.

Reply to
ducky87

Try this. I haven't done it myself but this is how my eyes see it. Base coat of bare aluminum or iron. Wash over with semi gloss black mixed with a bit of gold. Also experiment with the gold as a very thin and separate wash over the original dried application of black wash. To keep the gold flakes in dispersion use thinned Future Wax or acrylic extender.

----------------------------------------------------------- I did a pretty good simulation of the scorched afterburner fuselage section of an F-100 thus:

Observe. Burn a painted metal surface with a propane torch and observe the color changes as the paint melts, then chars and burn until the paint finally burns off to bare metal.

On the plastic model. Base coat of Aluminum paint to represent bare metal where all the paint had burnt off completely near the tail exhaust. Gold paint to feather over this bare metal aluminum. Red Oxide paint over the Gold. Simulate short transition zones from Red Oxide to gold to bare aluminum. Then Black over the Red Oxide. Regular camoflage paint over the Black. Simulate short transition zones from one color to the next, ie from camoflage to the bare metal.

The visual effect is the regular camo paint starts to char by losing its color and burning to Black. The metallic pigments in the paint then oxidize to Red Oxide and flakes off. The bare hot metal somehow turns slightly gold before finally becoming bare aluminum.

Reply to
KLM

I use Testors Steel and flat black to start with. Sometimes a little bit of brown is nice.

Now, this is for burned steel that is not chrome plated. Burned chrome exhaust pipes are someth>

Reply to
Don Stauffer

I use custom mixes of Model Master Chrome Silver Trim, Jet Exhaust, and Interior Black. I try to stick to the two metallic enamels I listed because they contain the finest metallic flakes of the entire line. In the past, I've used Testors Steel and others in my mixes but the metal flakes mixed in are too large and make the model surface look more like those metal sparkle finishes on 70's era drum sets!!

_________________ Marv mmays (AT) scalejets (DOT) net

M. Mays

ModelMaster #1424 (burnt iron) #1415 burnt metal (air brush only) are both excellent...and for exhaust headers, can be applied with a brush. The only problem with rolling your own is that of consistency. I've tried several "custom blends" of this and that, but find #1424 over a base coat of silver works great. Apply very very thin coats over the silver base coat so you can control the depth of color. HTH, Bruce

Reply to
Bruce W. Apple