drawing reduction?

I have a set of drawings for the Grumman F2F-1 fighter. Trouble is they are in 1/12 scale. I would like to get them reduced to 1/48 as I have it in mind to do some cross kitting between AM's F3F-1 and Grumman Gulfhawk kits to make and F2F. Before I retired I had access to the printing equipment at work (an extra little dividend of working in engineering) and getting reductions was easy. Now, aside from getting out the old proportional dividers and doing it myself, I'm stuck. Could someone like Kinko's or Office Depot do this?? Any advice would be appreciated.

Bill Shuey

Reply to
William H. Shuey

Bill The original is 1/12 and target is 1/48 to get the reduction ratio divide the original by the target scale

therefor 12/48 equals 25%

set the copier at 25% copy the original and there you go

May not be 100% accurate due to photocopier optics but will be close

Charlie

Reply to
CharlieH

Your local Kinko's should be able to do it. They may have it set up where you can self serve (mine does) or they may have to do it for you. I took some 1/12 blueprints I had and shrunk them to 1/48 and 1/72 and had some difficulty as portions of the plans were extremely faint. I solved this by printing some copies at the darkest setting. The biggest challenge was that the plans were all on one sheet and it was 8 feet long, running it through the scanner straight was quite a chore. It shouldn't cost more than $8 or so a copy.

John Benson ------------------------ IPMS El Paso Web Guy

John Benson

I suggest placing a couple of rulers face down on the glass when making the copies, so that all your copies include horizontal & vertical rulers. You can then check the copies against the original rulers to see how accurate the reduction was. Using two rulers lets you check for anamorphic distortion too -- sometimes the copier shinks the image a little more across the width than the length, or vice versa.

Reply to
Wayne C. Morris

Bill - You may want to check a blueprint/blueline shop. The latest versions of the repro equipment actually scan the image from the original, store it to memory and use that to replicate from. This image can also be stored to disk, CD, what-have-you. It can also be manipulated (shrunk/enlarged) to the size you need. This shouldn't cost more than $4-$5 per sheet. Otherwise, the ratio controls on a common copier should to the trick.

Frank Kranick

William H. Shuey wrote:

Reply to
Francis X. Kranick, Jr.

Kinko's -- they have a system that will take plans approx 36" wide(maybe more) & "no-limit" long. Reduction is in 1% increments, with I think a lower bound of about 25% in one pass. It is "do-it-yourself" & the only trick is getting plan aligned at start & ensuring it doesn't wander to one side or another as it is pulled in. I did some a/c-carrier blueprints from 1/92 to 1/350 & turned out great ... Cost is minimal.

John

Reply to
jRatz