Esoteric 1/72 Boeing F3B-1 Any good?

I have a line on a Naval Aviation Factory Boeing Fighter 3 F3B-1 by Esoteric. Of course it's on the internet so I can't actually see it before I buy it.

So can I get a ruling on this. Will it look like it's supposed to when done? Are they as hard to build as say a Merlin kit? Is there supposed to be any white metal or resin in it?

Reply to
Gray Ghost

Yes, if you're not allergic to vac kits. ;)

No way!

All my Esoteric kits have white metal detail parts and plastic strut material in them.

Reply to
Al Superczynski

Al Superczynski wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Thanks.

And a side question for MAIESM72. Whose idea was it to shoot the FF-1 in orange plastic. And was he flogged afterward?

Reply to
Gray Ghost

GG:

I have a couple of Esoteric's larger flying boat kits and they are state of the art for vac-u-forms. Metal and resin detail parts where needed. I just wish they had gone into 1/48 scale instead. An F3B in

1/72 is just too small for my eyes and fingers.

Bill Shuey

Reply to
William H. Shuey

The Meikraft FF-1, as well as their D-558.1 and occasionally others, had many problems, one of which was the color of the plastic in some kits.

John bought plastic pellets wherever he could get a deal. I looked at my FF-1 and it's in white plastic. I have the original and IPMS Nationals special issue. First one is grey, second orange.

"Was he flogged afterward?". Well, he ruined what little health he had, his long suffering wife left him and he died broke and owing lots of people products and money. So, yes, I guess that's equivelent to flogging.

You should have seen his last efforts, though. The SPAD, etc. were state of the art.

Tom

Reply to
Maiesm72

snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (Maiesm72) wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@mb-m04.aol.com:

Gee would you like to trade one of those icky grey or white ones for my LOOK!! RARE!! OOP!! UNUSUAL!! orange one?

Also do you have a list of the Meikraft kits that actually made it out into distribution? I have the Be2C and the W.29 which I bought secondhand after reading about your venture here. I also saw I think a P-35 which I fondled and didn't buy, may have been parts missing. I mean yeah they are low pressure limited run, but you did make the effort. And I like the decals especially on the W.29. I hope they lay down well.

Reply to
Gray Ghost

They also have a dynamite decal with them. Kim M

Reply to
Royabulgaf

I knew he has passed on but I'm sorry to hear all the rest. He and I had a nice chat on the phone a long time ago and I found him to be earnest, friendly and funny. IIRC, my FF-1 was in grey plastic but my D-558-I was in red.

Bill Banaszak, MFE

Reply to
Bill Banaszak

I haven't actually built one yet but the Pfalz sure looks good in box. Sorry I didn't get the SPAD. Cheers

The Keeper (of too much crap)

Reply to
Keeper

That's interesting. I've always been curious about the Meikraft P-51A, which I don't believe was ever released. How would you compare it with the 1/72 Allison P-51's from Condor/MPM, Model News, or High Planes?

John Thompson

Reply to
John Thompson

Correct, it was never released.

I have one, sort of. John sent me a short-shot test and he had sent me the box and decals before he self-imploded. I did the instructions for him, but they never saw the light of day. I sure wish that I had kept the masters!

The people who did his masters were, if he was telling me the truth, the same people who do Model News, Condor and/or MPM. While not identical in details the basic shapes and sprue layouts are very similar. It's obvious that they came from the same encampment. The test shot, however, is not as clean of flash and is, as mentioned before, a short shot.

Tom

Reply to
Maiesm72

I always thought that PoS Model News A-36 I built for Internet Modeler reminded me of a Meikraft kit. Now I know why!

Reply to
Al Superczynski