Exponentially OT: High School Reunion

I loved that show - I recall it died after just a handful of episodes though.

WmB

Reply to
WmB

That sounds a lot like my experience. Tenth reunion (1975) was looking to be nice, when my boss had me working on a construction project out of town for the whole damned weekend. A couple of old friends took pictures and shared them with me. Actually, I would have gone stag that weekend as I was in the middle of a nasty break-up with my then wife. Ten years later, I had remarried and had a couple of kids. My wife didn't want to go and my close friends from school were out of town with their jobs, so I didn't bother. For the twenty-fifth, they opened it up to ~all~ graduates and it lost a lot in the translation. Maybe in eight years when I have my fiftieth......

Reply to
The Old Man

If you get to Vancouver, say hell(o) to my ex...... 8-P

Reply to
The Old Man

I'm having the reunion experience tonight courtesy of PBS. They're doing their begathon and plying me with British Invasion groups. I must say that most of these guys have changed a lot over time. I think the three acts who still have it musically are The Zombies, Lulu and (gasp!) Petula Clark. She's got to be pushing 70 but she's still looking and sounding good. I'd bet that Argent and Bloodworth must still be out there playing regularly since their pieces sounded like they used to, maybe a little better. Lulu - ummm good! Eric Burdon reminds me of what a critic wrote 30 years ago - he really wanted to be Black. Between the dark glasses and mimicking Ray Charles' head movements he certainly has the part down. If they hadn't started his song with a black & white TV shot of the Animals, I'd never know that was him. I'll now return this channel to the regular programming....

Bill Banaszak, MFE Sr.

Reply to
Mad-Modeller

My 10th was fun, my 20th was a bust...not many people showed, let alone anyone I particularly wanted to see. Good many of my friends from those days were in the class ahead of me anyways...particularly the gals...

Reply to
Rufus

Be sure to reciprocate and send mine to hell if you ever get by this way...

Reply to
Rufus

"Rufus" skrev i en meddelelse news:9jMJh.15676$y92.14663@attbi_s22...

2 guys meet on the street after 30 odd years.

The first man: My wife is an angel. Second man: Damm your'e lucky, mine is still alive!

Reply to
Uffe Bærentsen

Just heard today from a group preparing for our 50th!!! They are planning for a date in 2008. I was really bad at math, but even I know that 1965+50 is 2015!!! Might go anyhow.

What I would lke to see is a decade reunion, 1960-1970. Most of me friends graduated either before or after my class of '65.

Another fun OT subject is the famous or infamous people. We had the lion tamer for Ringlng Brothers (I forget his name), Erin Gray (dated once, we keep in touch, even though she flubs her bio to say that she started Redwood in 1966, it was 1964), the late David Duke (the actor, not the neo-Nazi ass hole), Robin Williams (who went to Redwood

1967-1969, despite several classmates who swear that they knew him in 1965) and several lesser characters including a cover girl who was the school dork n high school. We have a few lost in 'Nam and a couple doing life within sight of Redwood at San Quintin.

There are even two IPMSers in the batch, although I havn't seen them for years. May be a good reason to go after all.

Tom

Reply to
maiesm72

did you go to swallow's with erin? should could wilma my deering anythime!

Reply to
someone

I've watch those as well whenever I remember to tune in. I came of age in the early 60s (started high school in the fall of 1961) and remember the "British Invasion" well. I also enjoy the Do-Wop groups and try not to miss it when they are on PBS as well.

In the mid 50s the transistor radios first started hitting the streets and my parents bought me one for my 10th birthday. It was a Sears Silvertone; a sort of putty tan/gray and it was huge - about half the size of a cigar box if anyone still remembers those (believe it or not...I still have it). I told my mom that leaving it on at night would help me go to sleep. In actuality, I stayed awake for hours listening to the Do-Wop groups on WLS radio, Chicago until fatigue finally overcame me. Ah, the old days. Life was a lot simpler then.

Ok, I'm off the nostalgia trip. I'm back to reality again!!

Reply to
Bill Woodier

I had 450 in by graduating class. As I think I mentioned in as earlier post, my 10th was in 1975. It was a huge affair with over 200 members of the class attending; we had also lost 6 members to Vietnam). I was in Hawaii when they had the 20th and couldn't make it but I got a list of attendees and it was less than 100. I don't know what happened at the 30th as I was out of touch with anyone from my class for that one. I was in touch with the organizers of our 40th and was planning on attending, actually looking forward to it. Unfortunately, the date for the closing on our house was changed, literally a couple days before and it, of course, fell on the Friday of my reunion. I did send a short "Here's what I've been doing the past 40 years" letter to the class and they were nice enough to send me a 40th reunion class photo. There were about 30 in attendance. I'm hoping they have a 45th and, if they do, I won't miss it. If not, I'll be hanging on for the 50th. ;~)

Reply to
Bill Woodier

did it use 3 batteries, a 47 1/4volt, a 11 volt and a 91amp? they were wierd that way. wls.....in good weather you could hear it all the way to east st louis. what the hell was that new orleans station that played all the really cool music after midnight? first place i heard herbie mann's stomed flute, early hendrix, and the airplane.

Reply to
someone

I went to the 15th in '91, haven't been to another since. The reunion was just like High School in that no one really knew me and I might as well not have been there.

Reply to
Disco58

i don't think i've had reason to even turn the switch in 30 years. 90% of fm is shit, too.

Reply to
someone

Internet radio is the only way to listen...way more stations, any market or genre you want (even RF scanners in some cases...), when you want, and you're already paying for it if you have an ISP...so you might as well hook your computer to your stereo and ditch the XM bill, too. That's what I do.

Reply to
Rufus

Crap, in good weather I could pick WLS up on the Maverick's AM radio at night after work (post midnight) back in the '80s. At that point AM around here was moribund. Now, except for WLAN, it is truly dead and living in Hell.

Bill Banaszak, MFE Sr.

Reply to
Mad-Modeller

Our class had the record (in '67) for graduating mothers-to-be. Must be a lot of 39 year olds out there somewhere. ;) I haven't been to a reunion since the 5th. That was a crummy experience and reminded me why I hadn't really missed many of them. All of the reunions since then have been dress-up dinner/dances so that just made them less appealing. My best bud in school lives three blocks from me right now so I can keep in touch.

Bill Banaszak, MFE Sr.

Reply to
Mad-Modeller

i listen to my old love. wzbc.org