F-4 Fin Birds

My F-4 building programme is throwing up some interesting little sub-collections. Just completing its journey across my workbench is a Phantom FG1 of 767NAS, Royal Navy, complete with a stylised yellow gull on the fin. Just about to commence its journey is an F-4EJ of 301 Sqn JASDF in the classic diving bird scheme. Soon to follow will be Cunningham and Driscoll's famous F-4J "Showtime 100", with a Screaming Eagle on the fin.

Are there any more F-4 schemes with a stylised bird on the fin?

Reply to
Enzo Matrix

i thought i saw one with a styylized deco-like black swan. i will check all the usual places....

Reply to
someone

"Enzo Matrix" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

From the top of my head: VF-92 Silver Kites flew a Phantom variant (when I get home I'll check which one) sporting a bird on the tail. Hasegawa did a boxing with decals for this version, I've got one in my stash and will check on the kit number.

Bye for now,

Steven

Reply to
Steven

Looks like I ought to have my head examined ;-) I didn't get around to looking it up last night, but here it is now: Instead of VF-92 I found an Hasegawa F-4J (kit nr PT6 or 07206) featuring Show time 100 on the box top. In the box there are also decals for VMFA-

115, nicknamed "Able Eagles", with a stylised silver bird on its tail.

Hope this was of any help.

Enjoy the weekend,

Steven

Reply to
Steven De Mulder

Yes indeed it was of help, Steven. Thank you.

Now that you mention it, I've realsed that I have Microscale sheet 72-412, with a VMFA-115 jet in one of the early interim lo-vis schemes. It has the stylised eagle in white on the fin and should look really good! I've just added that jet to my "to do" shortlist!

Reply to
Enzo Matrix

snipped-for-privacy@some.domain.invalid wrote in news:3nG9i.5134$ snipped-for-privacy@fe05.news.easynews.com:

Not sure if this meets your criteria of 'stylized', but the Oregon ANG used an eagle clutching a banner in its talons on several of its aircraft. I'm 99% sure they flew that Phantom II at some point.

There are also several other ANG squadrons that had birds of some sort on the fin. One that comes to mind is a stylized eagle on the bottom inboard side of the rudder w/rays of alternating colors projecting out behind the bird to the outer side of the rudder.

Hope this helps.

Reply to
John Stewart

don't forget the ju87's with the skinny, stretched out cartoon bird with the popeyes.

Reply to
someone